The truth about ich.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwh0818

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm making this post to show a few people that salt is NOT needed to kill ich.

Ich begins to die at 86 degrees because it cannot reproduce.

If you can, please reply True OR False and state why you think so!

This can be a learning experience to anyone here and to those who Google ich, ick, or white spot disease!

The only time I used salt to treat ich was with my goldfish. I don't think they would have appreciated me raising the temperature to 86+ degrees. Every other time raising the temperature to 86 did the trick.

I agree, both times i had an outbreak i only used heat 86+ no losses and definitely no salt.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My understanding is the salt is not to kill Ich the salt is to increase respiratory efficiency so the fish can adequately breath at the higher temperature.

My understanding is the salt is not to kill Ich the salt is to increase respiratory efficiency so the fish can adequately breath at the higher temperature.

Salt does in fact kill ich but the salinity levels necessary to be effective are not tolerated by quite a few fw fish. Salt will not increase respiratory efficiency at high temps as the issue is not one of respiration but the basic science that hot water holds dramatically less dissolved oxygen. Salt will not change the lack of oxygen in the water but increasing surface agitation will help to a point.

Increasing the salinity to .3 to .5% is extremely effective in addressing ich in goldfish- no heat is necessary nor will they tolerate the temps required to effectively address ich.

It's also worth noting that there are now documented strains of ich that can tolerate temps in excess of 90f as well as strains that are resistant to commonly used ich meds such as malachite green. Many common ich meds contain sodium chloride (salt), too.

False.

You have to understand the ich life cycle. Warmer temps speed up the ich life cycle.

The addition of salt or meds destroy ich in its vulnerable state, which is when they are in a free swimming state.

Heat can work alone because healthy fish(non stressed, intact slime coat) will be able to resist infections and infestation.

I'm adding an article.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

Back
Top Bottom