Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Think my betta has fin rot

I've read over the information on the site. I just did a 50% PWC today and it is past 9 so can't get meds till tomorrow.

He seems to have a white spec on one of his side fins but his back finds look like they are ragged or cloudy or have white fungus or something on them.

I see the meds recommended but I see adding salt recommended in some spots and not in others.

My questions are:
Can I easily determine if he has fin rot?

If he doesn't and I treat him for it will it hurt him?

Should I add salt?

Thanks
Jana

Old 03-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
For now just keep the water as clean as humanly possible. I would do another 50% change now and another one tomorrow. A small dose of aquarium salt can help ward off infections, but dissolve the dose in some tank water and add it a little at a time over a couple hours. When you can, I recommend melafix as an antibacterial to further prevent more infection and to help battle the infection that has already started, but with Bettas use about 1/5 the recommended dose, or buy bettafix instead. It is the same thing, just at the proper concentration already. These antibacterial measures along with good clean water will make it easier for the fish to heal itself, just don't stress the fish further by adding too much. Also, when you change the water if you add salt, only add back the percentage of salt you took out with the water change. If you remove half the water, only add back half of the dose you were using. Most brands of salt recommend one flat tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. Start with maybe half of that and see how it goes from there.
Also, a picture could help us determine how bad the fin rot is and if further medication than salt and melafix is needed.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got the best I could so my husband is trying with a better camera. Problem is he is an orangish/peachish fish with neon blue colors at the ends of his fins. Makes it difficult to see.

The first picture I added is just funny. Can't really see anything but he was curious what was up.

The second one you can see just a little in his back fins towards the middle. Otherwise there are some other spots that just look whitish or fuzzyish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	83398   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	83399  

Old 03-19-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not sure why they are upside down! Blargh
Old 03-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

From the look of those pictures, it doesn't appear that his fins are starting to get any bad infections yet, so clean water and perhaps a low dose of melafix and / or salt should help. How big is his tank?
Old 03-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There are just a few spots. It is hard to tell weather or not it is his coloring or something else. There are areas that look a bit ragged like at the edge of his dorsal fin (I will attach another pic).

I was gonna change the water again tomorrow and then add stress coat to it and put in 1 tsp of salt tonight and a little more tomorrow with the water change. Should I do 100% water change?

His tank is a 3.5 gallon. I want to up him to either a 5 or 10. I prefer 5 but 10 is cheaper and more room so.....

Anyway I added another pic where you might be able to see the spots that are ragged looking but either way if he is healthy I am happy. The spots that concern me are on the edge of his dorsal fin. Edge closest to his head. It looks whitish and like something took a nip out of him. Also not he bottom there is that one spot it looks whitish instead of the bluish of his coloring. We do see spots where seems white and ragged so if I do the antibiotic I cant it I won't hurt him. Do you do salt and antibiotic? Or just one?

THANKS SO MUCH!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	83407  
Old 03-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can do salt and melafix. Melafix is just tea tree oil and it is mildly antiseptic. From the looks of it I would say you could just do the salt. For a 3.5 gallon I would use maybe a quarter of a teaspoon of the salt, maybe a little less. With such a small tank, I would just do 100% changes daily until he looks better. Changing 3.5 gallons is a piece of cake so why not!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Didn't see melafix. I may have missed it. I got Betta Fix. I was wondering if the filter sponge needs to be changed out. Does the bacteria that causes fin rot live in the filter?

Thanks
Jana
Old 03-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fin rot is not caused by a particular bacteria and isn't really a disease, it is a symptom of poor water quality. Give the filter a rinse in old tank water but don't replace it, or you would lose all the beneficial bacteria it holds, throwing the tank into a cycle and resulting in a buildup of ammonia. Bettafix is fine, it is just melafix at a dose appropriate for bettas, so you can just use what it says to use on the bottle instead of doing a 1/5 dose like you would with melafix. Just remember, the meds can help prevent infection and can do a little to help the fish heal, but clean water will be the main thing that will get the fish all healed up and keep it from happening again.

Also, I just realized I forgot to ask about your water parameters last night! Do you have a test kit? If you do, what kind is it and what are your usual readings?
Old 03-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I do test. Currently it tests at:
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Ph 8
Nitrates are either 5 or 10 it is really hard tot ell the difference between the two.

I admit I have gotten lazy about cleaning it. This is a bow front 3.5 gallon tank and I try to vac the gravel but suck about 50% of the water out before I finish all of the gravel I gave him some dried blood worms and he didn't like them. When I looked later they were gone so maybe they were rotting? I dunno.

At this point I am tempted to get him a 10 gallon and just move everytig to that one. It would be easier to clean.

I put meds in a bit ago and will change out the water after i pick up the kiddos from school. I changed 3/4 of it yesterday.

Tags
betta, fin, fin rot, rot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com