This is a tad bit depressing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partypalooza5

Aquarium Advice Addict
Last time I went to the LFS I spent some time looking at their FW fish. I looked at their goldfish and I noticed one that was barely swimming, so I looked closer and sure enough he didn't have an eye! I felt bad for it, then I saw that it was missing its OTHER eye too!! It was really depressing... I don't know how that fish got as big as he/she did!!

Just felt like sharing..

Local Petco has a blood parrot just like that, stays secluded till its hungry then goes back to its clay pot.

I tried to get em for half price they said no.

Man, that is SO sad!!! Good thing I didn't see them cause I would have bouht them. I have a soft spot for animals that are hurt. My 6 year old niece brought me down a baby sparrow this summer and I drove it to an animal sanctuary cause I had no idea how to help it (plus I was not about to get up every 2 hours to feed it) and everyone thought I was nuts to save a sparrow lol.

I took time off from fish keeping in the mid to late 90's( joined the army in 98) but I went reptile during that time I worked for a LFS/LPS and we picked out our livestock by hand each week, I saw this madagascar giant day gecko in with a few tokays( tokays are like the baddest gecko in the jungle) and he had a missing arm, they gave him to me for nothing. I have rescued many pets since then but was unable to strike the deal on the blind blood parrot, good thing too cause he was really aggressive due to his blindness.

I just can't believe the thing was still alive! It didn't look like it lost the eyes, like it looked like they never developed. I would have bought it, but I don't have any tanks for him D;

if they were never developed then its never known any different, wont be much difference to the fish but when they lose em in a fight all sorts of issues can arrise.

I have seen this sevral times and have heard stories of it. Apparently after the fish has been alive for a while and gets experience it can teach itself to find food and navigate its surroundings. If you buy 1 of these fish they need special care (obviously) and you shouldn't move decorations around in the tank and change it around so the fish does not have to readjust.

Last Christmas, the lfs had an outbreak of pop-eye or something in their Ryukin tank. Anyway, the fish all lost their eyes. These are 4-5" to start, and the eyes just kinda rotted off & heal over in time.

I was surprised that the store kept the fish going, but eventually they were gone. <Must have been sold. They were 25% off :) > Anyway, from reading the goldfish forums, blind fish apparently do very well in tank. Considering that the moors & celestial eye breeds are basically blind to start with, I guess this should not be too surprising. The fish apparently find food by smell & don't need much extra care apart from removing any sharp objects in the tank that they can bump into. <And no greedy sighted tankmates or they will starve.>

I have my black ghost and he is blind. Granted he has "sonar" or whatever, and he will get to swimming so fask that he bumps the sides of the tank, but has never been hurt. I have to be extra careful too cause he doesn't have any scales and will cut easily. I sanded down all over his houses and only have soft plants in there for him. Sure, his houses look like they're worn down, but hey, it's "rustic" lol! I have taught him to come right up to the surface while I use the kitten feeder and he takes the food right out of the end, SO FUN! I squirt a little of the blood out first so he knows that I am there. (Have no waste that way either). I have only had him for 2 1/2 wks. I am also training my dwarf gouramis to do the same thing and so far it is working out well! The only ones I can't get to do it are the loaches, they are a little too crazy! I think they have ADD.....lol. I'll bet you could train a blind fish the same thing!

i had a blind gold fish or at least he looked blind. he had looking like cataracts on his eyes and he did great for 6 years he just passed on year ago. i was so sad..

Back
Top Bottom