Tiger barb - bloated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WOW, he is big. I cannot answer your question though, sorry.

Its possible that its just an old fish and has grown to that size but I don't honestly know.

He looks like he has a mouth deformation, so the older he gets the more genetic defects may come to the surface. All I can really say is that it isn't normal, but I can't tell you it isn't normal for that particular fish... :(

It look like this?
img_1211822_0_959cf287ebdfa7674f79430a3c804e25.jpg

img_1211822_1_6b3e781bd44ded8237b21a1dd4338ba3.jpg

My female is pretty big and looks bloated, but is eating very well and mates.

It very well could be a female, as they are bigger, and is just an older fish.. mind you, tigers can get up to 3inches big.

I think that you just got it, its prolly stressed out. Get some aquarium salt and dose the tank once and keep the light photo period to only feeding time - twice a day and small amount each time. They dont require alot of food.

hehe. I used to love how greedy Tiger Barbs are. It's certainly possible it just ate itself that way.

You should ask the person you got the tank form how long he had it if it is possible.

As long as he is not swimming funny or struggling to swim, he should be fine. However, barbs, especially albino tiger barbs are known to gulp air when feeding them and then show symptoms of swimming bladder issues. Some people suggest to soak the food...but some food still remains on the surface and the barbs usually go for the food on the surface first and still end up gulping some air. I don't know if regular tiger barbs have the same problem...but I've had this issue with my albino barbs.

Back
Top Bottom