Tiger barb help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rossi94

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay so I don't think my tiger barb is actually sick. It's just that I had him for about a year or 2 with 4 others but they died so he was Alone for a whole and did really we'll. I introduced new barbs to the tank and they all get along we'll but the old guy was much bigger and minded his own business. The only thing I noticed and notice is that when I feed the tank he never seems to come and eat and they've been in the tank for 3 weeks now, just wondering if that's normal or If there's anything I could do to get him to eat more when I feed them? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How is he doing now? Have you checked your water levels? Adding a bunch of new fish can sometimes mini cycle a tank. How large is the tank? I have a 20 gallon with 8 tiger barbs and it is almost completely stocked.

Ruling out water and space issues, I have had this sort of thing happen before. One fish would isolate himself, and not eat for like two weeks. Then everything would be fine.

Did you quarantine the new fish? Sometimes they can carry parasites, ich, velvet, ect. (all thing I have had and treated for in the past 6 months!). Try adding a small amount of aquarium salt, google for amounts, and keep up with water changes. You might have a spike of nitrates with a number of new fish.

If he gets super skinny almost overnight, seriously look into velvet.

To get them to eat, I use softened shrimp pellets. You could try peas, or a type of treat food like bloodworms.

Also look out for bullying, and consider moving decorations and plants around. As well as adding more hiding spots and plants.

Back
Top Bottom