Tiger Barb Internal Bleeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maeve

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had 3 tiger barbs in a 55 gallon tank for 2 weeks. About 4 days ago 1/3 started looking like it was bleeding internally. Then 2 days ago another one started bleeding internally as well. The first one died, the second one I euthanized after seeing the first pass away. I did not want it to suffer like the first one might have.

I have never seen this before. This tank has been set up for over 2 years. Tank parameters are all normal. I do struggle keeping pH up and noticed it was low at about a 6 two months ago. Since then, I added crushed coral in a loose media bag to my filter. The pH stays between 7-8. No ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, or other issues. My filter is a marineland penguin 350 GPH with dual biowheels and there are 3/4 carbon filters. Not 4 because I need space to place the crushed coral bag. This filter is capable of handling up to 70 gallons thus only 3/4 carbon filters should be plenty?

There are about 10 black skirt tetras, 1 snail (<1inch in size), 1 pictus catfish (~7inches), 1 plecto (~2 inches), 2 rosy barbs (<2inches). Then the 3 tiger barbs which there is only one left now :( I changed the water at the beginning of January (~10%). I typically only do a 10% change once to twice a month with a python gravel vac. I add distilled water back in, aquarium salt, and a splash of stress coat and stress zyme. I feed tetra color tropical CRISPS once daily. I place a 3 day vacation feeder in the tank once a month just to supplement the snail and plecto's diet.

Will post tank and fish photos soon.

It is winter here and my temperature ranges from 70-75. I have two thermometers and one is 70 degrees (farthest point away from heater). The other that is closer to the heater is at 74 degrees. In the summer the tank ranges from 74-78. I have been thinking of adding a second heater.

Melinda_Maeve_Stimpson's Library | Photobucket

I am gonna say bacterial hemorrhagic septicemia caused by Aeromonas liquefaciens and pseudomonas disease.
Best antibiotic to use is Terramycin, but since their already deceased no point in buying any.
Probably should get a heater of some sort...

My temp range is fine per all other fish experts I talked too.

Did you mean tetracycline?

Oxytetracycline
Leaving fish in water that is too cold for them weakens them over time...regardless if what others have told you I am of the opinion your tetras would be happier and healthier more active around 80F

I agree with Matt. The recommended temp range for all your fish is 75-80°F. More importantly, you need a regular temp that doesn't fluctuate. Same with pH. I'd recommend getting a second heater and set the temp at 78 since that is the high point you gave for the summer, and is also a good standard for your fish.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom