Tiger Barb spot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got some more tiger barbs yesterday, and i noticed today that one of them has one white spot on its tail. I thought it was ich at first, but I'm not sure. Could it just be nothing?

They are rather nippy with each other, do you have any pictures? I'm sure it's nothing if there's just one spot on all of them.

Does the white spot almost look like a small bubble in the tail .. the size of a salt grain? If so I think it's the same thing with some of my Barbs the first few weeks / 1st month I had them. I thought it could've been ick at first ... but it never spread and it just went away. The Barbs never showed signs of illness or stress during that time.

Just keep an eye on it ... Barbs are particularly prone to ick ... and they will nip at each other ...especially if you have a few males and they try to establish their pecking order.

Yeah! It looks just like a grain of salt, it's on the more dominant barb. I think they've already established their pecking order!

Yeah! It looks just like a grain of salt, it's on the more dominant barb. I think they've already established their pecking order!

I think you'll be ok. Sounds like what at least 3 of my Barbs went through. Keep an eye on it ... as I said before .... it just went away ... and those Barbs never showed any other problems from there.

Just yesterday, I had a Green Barb flash rubbing against a plant and the DW.
Funny ... it only did it after feeding and always the same plant, even if it was on the other side of the tank, it would swim to where it's scratch plant is? I gave it two 1/2 hour salt dips. So far I've seen no further scratching ... the scales look fine ... color's good.

Mine are still trying to work out their pecking order:facepalm: My Tigers were the big boys when I first got them, the Albino's and Green's were barely an inch long. Now? I've got a male Albino trying to push his weight around ... chasing the Tigers around:lol:

I'm glad you got the scratching problem solved! Barbs are really cool fish and fun to watch! I just love em!

I'm glad you got the scratching problem solved! Barbs are really cool fish and fun to watch! I just love em!

Agreed ... I love Barbs, they are just great to watch. Sometimes they just hang around then a few minutes later 3-4 will chase each other.:rolleyes: Now ... I've got one albino that's hiding more often than before ... probably a bit of bullying? Can't they just get along:banghead:?
Oh well ... It does come out and swim around, eat, it's colors look the same, no injuries or torn fins. Guess this is something that they'll have to sort out .. not to mention my Green scratching Barb ... so far so good:dance:

I'm just hoping my LFS can locate the 5 Banded Barb ... I really think they look cool ... like thinner version of Tigers.

Hmm, it might have been ick!! I've seen spots on others now! :( do you know any good meds that won't kill plAnts or beneficial bacteria?

When I'm treating ich I use Quick Cure but at half the dosage for an extended time. This way it doesn't stress the fish (some are very sensitive to meds) or kill off the beneficial bacteria. It still cures the ich.

We'll say the directions are 2 drops per gallon for 4 days. I use 1 drop per gallon for 8 days.

Most people use the heat/salt method with good results as well. I never had luck with it, but it also could be user error. :)

Should I be doing water changes during the treatment? or just after the treatment?

Back
Top Bottom