Tiger Barbs not eating and being shy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FUBAR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30gal cube.
Recently I had:
6 Tiger Barbs
3 Kenyi cichlids
3 Yellow Labs
1 Common Pleco
1 Pictus cat

Well I just moved the cichlids and the pleco to their new 150gal home. And I gave the Pictus to my sister.

I added 3 cherry barbs, 3 gold barbs, and 3 albino corys. (they're all very small right now)
I didn't add any algae eaters due to a complete lack of algae. Well ok, not a complete lack. But not enough to a support a fish of that type.

Well, now my Tigers are all basically just hanging out at the back left of the tank. And aren't eating. They all look very healthy and don't have trouble swimming. I checked the water several times and it's safe/stable.

Any ideas on what might be wrong? I've been feeding them spirulina flakes and freeze-dried brine shimp. This has always been their diet, and they've always ate it with no problems at all. But once the cichlids went, they kinda just became shy I suppose.

This has been going on for about a week.

(This probably should have gone in the unhealthy fish section....)

I bet some of those cichlids have gone after the barbs. They're probably hiding, would be my guess. Cichlids can be so aggressive that I just don't mix anything but a bottom feeder or two in with them. Then I feel sorry for the bottom feeder. Labs are often more peaceful of the Cichlids, but the Kenyis are aggressive fish. They're probably the culprit. Not a community tank fish.

PLUS, Tiger Barbs and Cichlids have different water needs. African Cichlids like high ph/hardness, Tiger Barbs like much lower PH with soft water. It's possible they're unhappy with the water conditions as well, but the cherry and gold barbs should be unhappy too.

Those Corys are going to get BIG btw. Mine are 4" long, and they like their food a lot. Make sure to get some food down below for them! I'm not sure how big they'll get in your tank, but I think they can get up to 6" with the proper food and room.

The cichlids were moved to a 150g tank...they are no longer with the barbs if i read correctly.

Just give them a little time. They are getting used to a being the top dogs in the tank now.
Are you only feeding once per day? Try skipping a day occasionally. Try a different type of food, or some mysis or brine shrimp (mysis has a higher nutrient content)

malkore said:
The cichlids were moved to a 150g tank...they are no longer with the barbs if i read correctly.

Just give them a little time. They are getting used to a being the top dogs in the tank now.
Yes, the cichlids were moved.

I think you were right about them getting used to being the big fish now. They seem to be getting more active, though they still like that corner.

Unfortunately... one of them died today while I was at work. Sad.... :(

any major change can upset fish. their territory has changed drastically without the cichlids. they're probably just stressed and confused. give them time.

can you see what the cause of death was for the one that died? any fungus, injuries, etc?

Here are my thoughts...actually mostly questions. :wink:

What are your actual water parameters (hardness, pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate)? Saying that they are stable and safe won'y help us help you as much as posting the actual numbers.

Were you adding African lake cichlid salts? If so, did you abruptly stop adding them when you moved the cichlids to the bigger tank? That would certainly stress the tiger barbs that had become accustomed to the higher hardness/pH.

You added cherry barbs, gold barbs, and corys, right? Were they quarrantined first? Perhaps a disease was introduced with them. For now, keep a close eye on all the fish especially the newcomers. If they brought a disease in the tank, they will likely show symptoms first.

Crusis, the albino corys are likely Corydoras aeneus - they grow to be about 1.5 - 2 inches tops. Were you thinking of the pleco?

Back
Top Bottom