Tiger Barb's Stripes Going Grey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had this little guy for about 4 months or so now, and in the past two months his stripes have been starting to really fade out. He's still as active and lively as he ever has been, but what's going on here?

Tiger barbs arent injected with dye, are they?

richiestang_78 said:
No the color is natural but mature females lose there color so that may be it.

Doesnt a red part on their dorsal fin (or whatever it's called) mean its a male though?

richiestang_78 said:
Yeah, females are fuller and less colorful and there pectoral fins are clear.

Well, thats what's wierd. The fish in question is a male.

If he is male, he will have an orange nose. You should see my albino. His nose and dorsal are bright orange.

Mine change colors depending on their mood. Tigers may be nippy, but they are wimps and get scared very easily. Is he hovering in a corner?

its natural, mine do this too, all of the ones IU have owned over the years have done this, I can't explain why but they do

richiestang_78 said:
exodus make sure you water condition is good. I know barbs arent too picky about water but just make sure.

Just tested the water about 5 minutes ago, everything looks spot on. I was sitting there watching this barb, and it seems kinda hostile and loner-ish. Last night it was swimming around as a school with the other barbs, but tonight it seems different. Shes also getting kinda territorial as well, which is odd.

Back
Top Bottom