Tiger barbs tail gone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ngalvin26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all I have had a bad case of ich which has killed a few of my fish but Today I have noticed that one of my green tiger barbs has no tail does anyone have any idea what it could be?

I am going to take some water to my LFS because I don't have a test kit at the moment

Edit that is supposed to say tiger barbs not babes (stupid auto correct)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447022267.033595.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447022290.138827.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
How many tigers do you have and what size tank.They are hard on everyone including themselves
Groups under double digits often have troubles as do their tank mates...
Looks like aggression on the tigers tail IMO.

If you enlarge the image its dorsal fin also looks chewed up, what are you treating the ich with? CB is the man so take his advice, i would recommend a hospital tank as i just started setting mine up well a hospital /quarantine, but CB will be able to help you more than i. Gl on the fish CB will help you get him healed up.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How many tigers do you have and what size tank.They are hard on everyone including themselves
Groups under double digits often have troubles as do their tank mates...
Looks like aggression on the tigers tail IMO.

I had 5 barbs but ich killed 2 off so now I have 3 and my tank is 40g.

I haven't personally seen any aggression between them.

As for treating the ich I am using the heat treatment, but do I need to buy some medication aswell for when it drops off the fish?

Water parameters? I know you said you was going to get it tested, and yes the pods will fall off the fish and open up but honestly that looks like more of a fungus /infection to me the spots aren't the typical salt /sugar looking specs to me but CB or others would know more than i

OP you found your way here,find some accurate info on tigers.
IMO if you have not witnessed any aggression you either have the nicest tigers on earth or are not watching closely enough(not being mean sorry).
Tigers are a BRUTAL fish if not kept properly.
Schools need to be double digit(10+) andthen mixing with just any other fish is asking for it IMO.

Looking at pic a little more the scales seem to be starting to pine cone???
You may well have a bacterial issue cooking now from stress and aggression also.

Water parameters? I know you said you was going to get it tested, and yes the pods will fall off the fish and open up but honestly that looks like more of a fungus /infection to me the spots aren't the typical salt /sugar looking specs to me but CB or others would know more than i

All they said to me is everything looks good but my PH is a little hard
Also i am sure it is white spot because they told me the fish I bought from them also had it so they gave me some meds which I don't no wether I should use or not.

OP you found your way here,find some accurate info on tigers.
IMO if you have not witnessed any aggression you either have the nicest tigers on earth or are not watching closely enough(not being mean sorry).
Tigers are a BRUTAL fish if not kept properly.
Schools need to be double digit(10+) andthen mixing with just any other fish is asking for it IMO.

Looking at pic a little more the scales seem to be starting to pine cone???
You may well have a bacterial issue cooking now from stress and aggression also.

I was watching last night and I noticed my gold barb nipping at that one fish, should I up the amount of barbs? Or just try to re-home

Fish are going to pick on the Weak/sick that's why it would be wise to set up a hospital tank so he can heal, with barbs you have to have multiple of each species/breed or that's what i was told, example you have Tigers you need 6+ of them, then you just mentioned gold so 6+ of them, you can't persay have 12 barbs 1 of each species species /breeds.. I don't think i may be wrong

All they said to me is everything looks good but my PH is a little hard
Also i am sure it is white spot because they told me the fish I bought from them also had it so they gave me some meds which I don't no wether I should use or not.

I was watching last night and I noticed my gold barb nipping at that one fish, should I up the amount of barbs? Or just try to re-home

No matter where you put him he's sick and weak and going to get picked on and die, you mentioned white spot, i would get a hospital you can make one out of a bigger Tupperware tote a heater and a sponge filter, just make sure the temperature is correct/ close to your tank water so you don't shock him put some 4" Pieces of (new clean pvc pipe elbows/straight) in the tank so he can hide out and not be stressed and medicate both tanks if its white spot

Back
Top Bottom