Tiger Oscar not doing well.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeriousDude5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had this oscar for well over a year now without any problems. Well, my Bleekeri began to pick on him so I needed to put in a divider. The oscar is missing many scales, and a few of his fins are torn. Also the top of his head is severly beaten up (doesn't look like whole in the head more like hamburger) Yester I found a red slime on top of his head went out for a few hours and it was gone...it was definetly noticable too about 1inch in diameter. Moving on the oscar is currently at the top of the tank gasping for breath (he is labored breathing.) I am unsure what is going on with him or if its too late to be saved. He seemed to be recovering when I put the divider in now hes taken a turn for the worst. Also not all his fins are torn his and fin and the ones in front of it are. Please inform me on what you think the problem is, and what I should do about it. Oh also, I have two tin foil barbs and a pleco on the divided side w/ the oscar while the bleekeri is alone...but I don't thing the barbs are picking on the oscar.

The first thing to do if you haven't is a water change. Prior to that test your parameters and post them here. Oscars can be prone to hole in the head disease.

What size tank is it and how big is he? You could depending on the size of the tank, treat with some antibotic medicine. Are the areas that are infected the areas that were attacked?

The tank is 90 gallons and the last time I did a water change was 5 days ago. The oscar is about 6-7" What antibiotic would you recommend?

The only place where I saw the slime was on the head. But, it does not look like any hole in the head I have seen, and the Bleekeri was tearing the oscar apart even being a smaller 5" The worst of it does seem to be on the top of the head, but the rest of his body is also missing a lot of scales.

Back
Top Bottom