Tiger Oscar w/ Popeye?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had an ICH breakout a few weeks ago. Since I have a pleco i've been treating half-dose (15 drops for a 30 gal) for about 2 weeks now. The Ich affected my Tiger Oscar and a large goldfish. Not my pleco or two banded-killis. The ich didn't seem to be developing anymore; but I noticed some grey spots on my oscar's eyes. I thought it might be normal coloration, but today I noticed his eye's bulging.

I've heard little about popeye; but I have heard it can be a complication of parasitic diseases like Ich.

Is popeye contagious? How should I treat it?

Is it because I raised the temp. (~87 F) for Ich??

Help!!

Any info/advice is appreciated. thanks.

Popeye is often and indicator of stress or poor water quality as well. Sometimes, doing daily water changes can make it clear up without the use of medication. How quickly have you raised or lowered the temperature of the tank? Do you have any supplemental filtration in your tank, like an airstone? Warm water = less oxygen. Not as important for the oscar as it is for the Goldie.

What are your water parameters? What are you feeding the fish? Do you know that the Oscar will outgrow the tank he is in now? Oscars require a very varied diet in order to keep them healthy. If not, they can contract illnesses, most notably HITH.

I have a UGF, two airstones, and a HOB that is creating supplemental bubbles as I've lowered the water level just a bit.

The temp. in my tank may be the cause...

You see, the heater is sooo touchy. So so touchy. I wasn't sure of that til I raised it a notch and came back in a few hours to see it had shot up to almost 90 degrees. I lowered it back.

Since then I've been slowly slowly raising it up. It's at about 85 now, over 3 or 4 days it got up there from about 77.

I feed the fish wardley trpical flakes (i know, low nutrients, shame on me. I'm broke now though!!), algae tabs every 3 days, shrimp pellets occasionally, I feed the oscar Hikari cichlid pellets, but he usually spits them back out.

This is real discouraging.

It looks as though there is grey-ish tissue hanging off of his eye.

Back
Top Bottom