Tiny Black Spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I came into work this morning to a pair of normally acting Gouramis, but as I was feeding them I noticed that they both had tiny black spots on them. The spots are really small, probably about the size of a really fine ground pepper.

The smaller of the two fish has more spots than the larger one. On the smaller one they're all over his head. The larger one only has a few on his fin and towards the base of it's tail.

Both are acting just fine and they both at their meal as they normally do. Is this something that I should be worried about? Is this something I should start treating?

- Mandy

I'm not familiar with Gouramis, but what you've described sounds like Black Spot Disease. I have a couple male bettas that I've been treating for that this past week. I treat them with T.C. Capsules, which is a form of tetracycline. One of them is no longer showing ANY signs of the black spots, the other was in worse shape, and I'm still treating him, but it's almost completely gone on him as well. If you were to treat with tetracycline, I would go with Mardel's form of it, they seem to be a good brand name.

Back
Top Bottom