Tiny white worms living in substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NekoOo

Aquarium Advice Activist
While doing the weekly water change today in my betta tank, I noticed these really tiny worms floating around when the I disturbed the sand. I thought they were just hair or something because they were not moving or swimming, but then they started to wiggle around confirming my suspicions. They're no bigger then half a pinky fingernail long and about two or three strands of hair thick. Can't get a good pic. :(

Anyway, it's a 10gal with 1 betta, 2 zebra snails, and 3 ghost shrimp. Ammonia/nitrite- 0, nitrate- 10, ph- 8.0, 78 degrees.

I have fungus guard fizz tabs but I doubt they'll work for worms, plus I'm scared to harm my shrimps and snails. What should I use to get rid of these little wormy buggers?

Thanks ^^

Sounds like planera worms, slow down on the feeding schedule and start doing small daily water changes to vacuum then out. It's very common in aquariums so don't fret. :) good luck!

I have vacuumed the free floating ones. I try not to disturb the sand with the gravel vac too much because it's black and clouds the tank really bad and all this super fine black dust clings to my decor. The waste just sits on top anyway, but I think I'll stir it up a bit next time and vacuum more of the worms out.

butterfly_koi said:
Sounds like planera worms, slow down on the feeding schedule and start doing small daily water changes to vacuum then out. It's very common in aquariums so don't fret. :) good luck!

Thank you! I'll look these worms up and take your advice. I do a 50% pwc every Sunday but I think I'll do another on Wednesday and Friday too.

Back
Top Bottom