Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Congrats! And very good info on how to do the filtering! I made my eBay purchase today! Any recommendations on what to put the peat and almond leaves in? Like, what brand.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly5978 View Post
Congrats! And very good info on how to do the filtering! I made my eBay purchase today! Any recommendations on what to put the peat and almond leaves in? Like, what brand.
I just tear piece of almond leaf and stick one end of it in sand or gravel to anchor it. My lfs sells them, no particular brand, that I've noticed. Never done peat. Will tell you tho between that and dw my ph came down very nicely and slowly

Old 06-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Freak

No particular indian almond leaf to recommend, but the best ones I have seen have came from Maylaysia of Japan. The Peat pellets are sold by Fluval which can also be found on ebay. Glad to see your cycling levels drop. PH has to be reduced slowly and the white vinegar will do it....you just have to be patient... add to your daily water changes and you will get there in 7-10 days.. Good luck!
D.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wait,.,,I missed that. How do u do it with vinegar?
Old 06-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Freak

Add a cap of white vinegar to a 5 gallon bucket. Lets say your current PH is 8.2 but your tap is 7.4. When the tap reads 7.0 add to the tank. The next day go for 6.8. the next day go for 6.6. The next day go for 6.4 and so on. Over time, you tank PH will go from 8-5 to 8.3 and 8.1 and so on and so on. eventually you will get to 6.8 where you want to be.
D
Old 06-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice FINatic

But then you have to keep doing it right? Or it will crash? Is peat easier? Where I wouldn't have to worry bout a crash? How do u do peat? Boil it? How much for 20 gallon?
Old 06-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Personally I wouldn't mess with ph. Adding things like vinegar will work for a while but the ph will usually come back up. If you want to lower it use RO water or peat moss, not vinegar or other things you add to water change water. For most of the fish we keep today, stable ph is more important than having the ph they would have in the wild. Ph swings are deadly.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:05 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How much peat? For 20 gallon tank with hard water?
Old 06-02-2013, 12:41 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Freak

Complex questions for now....as I said before, the vinegar is a temporary measure...it is meant as an inexpensive way to lower your PH safely. There may be bounce back as was previously mentioned, but it gives you time to find out what is causing the rise in PH. I am sure something in your tank is causing it. R/O water to neutral to somewhat acidic based on your tank buffers. If you do a 100% W/C, your PH should be 7.4 as it comes from your tap, but since it is jumping a full point, something is causing it...I can't say just what...but it is in your tank. Snails can't do it so it has to be an object or rock etc. Easiest way is to get a cheap 10 gallon tank. Leave it bare. Add and treat tour tap water and measure PH. If it is 7.4 problem is solved. It it is 8.5, you have a bad PH test kit . If it still won't budge...African Cichlids become your new tank mates.
D

Tags
change, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com