Toddler dumped fish food in a poor bettas tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dumbo the Fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
So one of the many children in our family got ahold of my fish food container and dumped it in the tank. Worst part is that i was gone for a few hours after the incident so I didn’t see what happened until I came across the fish. Now, I know it should be normal for him to be bloated because the amount of food he ate was sickening, but I don’t really know if the scales are okay. I have some phobia of dropsy lol and I’m really worried my fish could have contracted it somehow. I just noticed the scales and I don’t know how long they have been that way. I did a 100% water change and he seems fine. How long should I fast him for? Sorry for the unorganized messy post and for the lack of pictures of the tank in it’s worst. Here is him now: IMG_0332.jpgView attachment 1
Thank you!!

Sorry for the second pic! Wrong one... I have no idea what happened. I’ve never even had a picture like that...

Dropsy is not really a disease, it's a symptom of a disease. Usually an intestinal bacterial infection. The biggest obstacle you might have to overcome is a mini cycle brought on by the big WC. If your Betta becomes constipated for a prolonged period of time, the chances of bacterial problems increase, which might lead to Dropsy.
I wouldn't feed the Betta for 5 or 6 days.

It’s hard to see on the pic. Sorry about that! (Cruddy iPhone camera)

It doesn't look like the scales are pineconing at this point, but it's difficult to determine from the pic.

I can see where his stomach is bloated from eating but his scales look fine. Like V said, just fast him.

Back
Top Bottom