Torn fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blood-Pop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Goldfish (a common one, not fancy), has developed some tearing in his fins. His dorsal fin was the first one I noticed with a little tear in it, then 2 days after that, one of his pectoral fins got a long tear in it. (It's split in half, almost all the way)
His tail fin seems to be having some slight rigid edges, as well. There are no red streaks on him anywhere.

The medicines I'm considering are:

API Melafix
Maracyn-One
Maracyn-Two
Maybe Maracyn Plus (not really sure how it's different from Maracyn one and two, aside from being a liquid)

I'm wondering what would be best to treat this?
Last year, I treated him with Maracyn one and two for Popeye. It didn't make it go away, but it stagnated and doesn't seem to have gotten worse. So, if anything can help his eyes go back in his head (LOL), that would be a fabulous plus!

I'm very sure this came on from poor water quality, as I was physically unable to care for the tank for a little while.
It's a 10 gallon tank (I know, too small, can't afford a bigger one atm), I've now been changing the water everyday since I've gotten better, and all the parameters are in ideal range now.

Can you please post your exact parameters right now? A pic to see what is going on here will help, too!

Can you please post your exact parameters right now? A pic to see what is going on here will help, too!
Ah, I don't own a functioning camera, so I can't really take a new picture of him. :( (I do have some older pictures I took to show how his eyes are, and they haven't really changed much since those were taken.)
I could just draw how his fins are for now, I guess. lol

The parameters are:
PH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0.5
Nitrate: 0.0
Nitrite: 0.0
I'm doing water changes every other day, since his tank is currently too small for him, but all the tests I do show up pretty good.

His pectoral fin has repaired itself a bit. Instead of it being ripped almost all the way to where his fin meets his body, it's now halfway to that point.
The gnash on his dorsal fin has gotten a bit deeper; From the top of the dorsal fin, the rip is shaped like a "U" pointing down, and is in the middle of the top of his dorsal fin. (It's not like a hole in his fin. Sorry if my descriptions may be a bit confusing! :( )

Try increasing your water changes to daily. Healthy water is the best thing to heal minor injuries such as torn fins.

Back
Top Bottom