Toxic Seachem Prime?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MBeachFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Long story short.
Bought Seachem Prime to combat ammonia spike of moved tank. Dosed 2x - bottle recommends you can 5x.
Within hours 1/2 stock DOA. Evacuated balance and lost 1/2 of that. Thought ammonia got them. Settled tank. Fish back and OK since then.
Vacation so no WC for 2 weeks. Changed today but didn't dose Prime as daughter brought me chems.
Hours later and she smelled something BAD in my room. Checked out fish and cats and discovered Prime was RANCID!! Bottle was slightly open and had spilled. Thought we had a chemical spill that needed Hazmat.
Made the mistake of smelling and my eyes and nose are still burning.
Anyone have similar experience? Headed back to Petsmart tomorrow.

Prime can have a strong sulfer smell when you get to the bottom of the bottle. Is that what you were smelling? If so, that is normal.

I know prime has a strong smell. I have even put my nose to the bottle and smelt it. It smells bad, not never to where it would give me the feeling of burning. Did you get any in your eyes? On your skin or face? Maybe on your hands then touched your face?

Prime can really stink, plain and simple. I highly doubt it is what killed the fish, and I also wonder if you made contact with it in you eyes. How much spilled?

Back
Top Bottom