Transported baby mollies in a new tank... staying at the bottom HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh okay. Is there a reason the water smells fishy not bad bad but a fish smell?

CMN said:
Oh okay. Is there a reason the water smells fishy not bad bad but fresh smell?

I believe high nitrites can cause the water to smell fishy. I have seen others on here post it as one way to monitor nitrites in a tank to hold you over until you can get a test kit. So keep up those water changes!

Okay just changed 50% of the water. They are acting normal again. It's crazy how a water change can have such a affect on the babies.

I have noticed that my water gets cloudy easily, however these water changes I have been doing have got rid of some of that but I does keep coming back. Do you think that is the process of cycling or the ammonia nitrate and nitrate?

The babies are doing fine right now but I just don't like the highs and lows one min there okay the next there not. You be surprised how attach you get to fish.

CMN said:
The babies are doing fine right now but I just don't like the highs and lows one min there okay the next there not. You be surprised how attach you get to fish.

I understand completely.
I think I missed it but what size tank and how many mollies? How big are they? The more fish and the smaller the tank the faster ammonia, nitrite and nitrate will build.

I have a 10g tank with 5 baby mollies probably a half of a inch.

It's ok for now but they are going to grow fast so I hope you've got somewhere to put them in a month or so because as they get bigger the more waste they are going to produce.

Is there anything I can do about the fish tank smelling like fish ik it's bc of the ammonia but having a 10 g in your dorm room is making me sick. Any suggestions?

CMN said:
One last question, how old will the babies be when they can reproduce ? Bc I will have to separate right? I herd that inter breeding with the siblings can cause defect in the fish? Is that true?

You should be able to sex the babies very soon if not right now. Mollies are one of the easiest fish to sex. Just Google "sexing molly fish" and hit images. Males anal fins are pointy, and females are fanned out.

When they can reproduce depends on how fast they're growing, and that depends on how much you're feeding them. But if you don't want babies, separate them asap.

Genetic issues can happen when breeding siblings, but it's really not likely. Interbreeding in families is actually how all the different strains were developed. If breeders saw a trait they liked, they would breed that fish to a family member so the trait is more likely to show up again. It's when you do that for successive generations that you start to see problems, so don't get overly stressed about it if they have already bred.

They were born on Xmas I don't think they can reproduce that fast?

I just can't handle the smell of the tank as of right now.

CMN said:
They were born on Xmas I don't think they can reproduce that fast?

The earliest I've ever heard of it happening is two months. So you've probably got a month to figure something out. I just didn't want you to be caught off guard with more babies!

CMN said:
I just can't handle the smell of the tank as of right now.

The water changes should help, and it will go away when the tank is cycled. If you use air fresheners be sure to not spray anywhere where the droplets can get into the tank!

Okay thank you both. I just have not ever had a problem with smell before. And I have 3 other tanks lol. And I can't tell yet if they are boys or girls there not developed yet. Is there any other way I can tell them apart?

Sisserydoo said:
You should be able to sex the babies very soon if not right now. Mollies are one of the easiest fish to sex. Just Google "sexing molly fish" and hit images. Males anal fins are pointy, and females are fanned out.

When they can reproduce depends on how fast they're growing, and that depends on how much you're feeding them. But if you don't want babies, separate them asap.

Genetic issues can happen when breeding siblings, but it's really not likely. Interbreeding in families is actually how all the different strains were developed. If breeders saw a trait they liked, they would breed that fish to a family member so the trait is more likely to show up again. It's when you do that for successive generations that you start to see problems, so don't get overly stressed about it if they have already bred.

One thing that I have noticed is that two of them constantly follow each other around and they bump into each other I'm wondering if they are make and female?

Back
Top Bottom