Treating hexamita

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

graucow

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I am posting here becuase i believe my apisto has hexamita. I have already begun treating for hexamita and was wondering if any one had experience treating it. The sick fish is my apisto who is a recent addition, I had a pair and the other one already passed, it had the same symptoms. The symptoms are:

Laying on the bottom of the tank
Chewing food then spitting it out
Long pale poop

If anyone has any expirence dealing with this, please fill me in.

Metro doesn't do much for hex in my experience. The only thing I've actually been able to beat hex with is flubendazole. When I used metro it just came back. Flubendazole is a strong medication and it will kill snails and shrimp so if you have them in your tank you'll want to rehome them. I have yet to put the nerite back in the treated tank because I've read that several people have had nerites die after adding them back months and several water changes later.

I believe ive beaten the hex or whatever I had, as my apisto has began to eat again but i will keep an eye on my tank.

I believe the hex is back but i am not sure. I am having trouble getting the apisto to eat again. I might try and get the flubendazole. Does anyone else have any ideas on what i can do

Ive seen the fact that you have to take them out and literally shove the metro down their throat, like with a plastic syringe

Dang, im not sure if I will be able to do something like that

I've been reading about mixing it with food

Flubendazole does not need to be eaten. I treated CPD that had hex and there's no way to force feed a CPD when they aren't eating, they are way too small. I dosed the water column with flubendazole and with in a few days they were eating again. Charles is the man so if you reach out to him for assistance be as open and honest about the tank and he can diagnosis the issue quickly and assist you with info on proper treatment.

Also, I tried the metro route before the flubendazole (I at first didn't know it was hex so I tried metro to cure the fish) and you can mix it with food but if the fish aren't eating you are just fouling your water. Foul water plus medication that kills off the bb in the tank is going to cause issues. Make sure you keep an eye on your levels and act quickly if things turn. I know metro says it won't affect bb but it does. Thankfully my tank is a 20g and I had maybe 25 nano fish, shrimp, and snails so my levels take forever to change.

Back
Top Bottom