Treating ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paxdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I'm going to treating my tank for ich. I have a penguin 350 hob filter. It says to take out my carbon while treating but I don't want to lose the BB on my filter media! How can I keep it alive while it's not in the filter? Can I just keep it in the water for the few days that I'm treating? Will it be fine or should I run an air stone in a bucket with it? Any advise would be appreciated

What are you treating with?

Freshwater Ich? Yuck!

You might find the linked article above useful. You can effectively treat ich without using any meds at all if you have an aquarium heater...

fort384 said:
What are you treating with?

Freshwater Ich? Yuck!

You might find the linked article above useful. You can effectively treat ich without using any meds at all if you have an aquarium heater...

I can't remember the name of it. It safe for scaleless fish. Can you treat with heat alone? I thought you had to use salt. I have shrimp and a few scaleless fish. And what I've read they don't like salt. And I have cories and I've read they are very sensitive to salt

Yes, you can treat with heat alone. There are some words regarding that in the article I linked above.

fort384 said:
Yes, you can treat with heat alone. There are some words regarding that in the article I linked above.

Ok thank you. I will give it a read

Raise the temperature to 86-88F slowly over a day or so
Increase aeration
Do extra water changes and gravel vacs
Leave the temp up for 1 week after last spot is seen
No meds or salt needed

Mumma.of.two said:
Increase aeration
No meds or salt needed

Thank you very much. Will give it a try

Ok so I decided to use medication. Heat alone hasn't seemed to be Eli g anything I have been using the kordon brand ich treatment everyday for four days now and my temp is at 87-88 degrees. The fish that I can see the ich on still looks the same. I havent seen and improvement. Some other fish are scratching on things but I only see the spots on the one fish. Why does it not look like its doing anything?

fort384 said:
Maybe it isn't ich. Ich Can't survive at 86+.

What could it be? Looks like ich on the one fish. Other fish are rubbing on things every once in a while but I see nothing on them

Mumma.of.two said:
Increase aeration
No meds or salt needed

How many times u think you post that a week lol

Paxdaddy said:
What could it be? Looks like ich on the one fish. Other fish are rubbing on things every once in a while but I see nothing on them
You said that you used medications, can you describe the treatment? How many days? How often did you add the medication? Etc.

But also you increased the temperature, again how many days the tank has been at 87 88 degrees?

You said that you used medications, can you describe the treatment? How many days? How often did you add the medication? Etc.

But also you increased the temperature, again how many days the tank has been at 87 88 degrees?

temp has been up for about 8 days now and i have treated with kordon rid-ich plus for the last 6 days exactly as it says on the bottle 1 tsp for every 10 gal. every 24 hours and i have done a 25-30% water change before each treatment.

Paxdaddy said:
temp has been up for about 8 days now and i have treated with kordon rid-ich plus for the last 6 days exactly as it says on the bottle 1 tsp for every 10 gal. every 24 hours and i have done a 25-30% water change before each treatment.

Keep it up for another week, sounds to me that you are in the right path

Back
Top Bottom