Treating Ich (overtreating?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daveydoodle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gallon tank with Dempsey, Green Terror, Firemouth, Corydora and a Pleco. On Friday (1/16) I noticed obvious Ich on my Dempsey and Green Terror. I turned off the lights, increased the temperature and aeration and treated with the recommended dosage of Ick treatment. 24 hours later both fish still had Ich. I treated again on Sat night. On Sunday, both fish were fine; all signs had gone away and the Dempsey and Terror are acting normal again. On Monday my Pleco seemes to have developed Ich. My question is can you overdose on Ich treatment? I hesitant to dose again, however want to treat my Pleco. All other fish in the tank appear without signs or symptoms. Treat again?

Some medications are not safe for corys. You didn't say what type of filter you have either, it is best to take charcoal out of the filter during treatment and put it in to get rid of the medication. Ich has a free swimming stage in the life cycle. Have you done any major water changes to try and get rid of that stage? Depending how bad the ich is I would do at least 30% water change and keep the temperature high with extra aeration. I would also treat the pleco in a separate tank.

The heat method is the best treatment for ich with sensitive fish. Do a large water change, add charcoal to the filter and turn the heat up to 87-88 F slowly, about 1-2 degrees every 6-12 hours. Once the heat is up there, either add extra aeration or lower the water level a bit to increase oxygen in the tank. Keep the heat up for 2 weeks AFTER the last spot of ich is gone.

I did about 30% water change on Friday prior to dosing medication. No water change on Saturday, just a second dose. Nothing on Sunday, and Monday night I did about 25% water change. Additionally, I added some aquarium salt Friday and Sunday. The filter is a Emperor 400, and I also have a Fluval 1 (more for water circulation) and I removed all charcoal prior to dosing. I wasn't aware of the Corys' sensitivity, however he appears fine (actively moving, feeding, swimming, etc). Do you think the increased water temp, aeration, and water changes will be enought to treat the pleco? Or should I seperate him and treat independently? Again, all other fish show no signs or symptoms.

I personally would remove the pleco just so I could treat it more aggressively without adding more medication to the tank. That is just what I would do since I usually have a spare tank up and going without fish in it. Depending on the medication also it can set your aquarium up for a mini cycle or a full cycle. Usually it is antibiotics that kill the good bacteria. Not all medications effect corys but some do.

If it is indeed ich, all fish should be treated. Ich can be present in the gills is not visible to the eye. Perhaps it is not ich? Ich looks like grains of salt on the fish.

I'm fairly certain that it's Ich. White, spots that look like sand all over the body of the Pleco. About 1 week prior, my wife and I painted this room, so we had to unplug the heater for about 2 hours; in addition we had to move the tank around. With the windows open (to ventilate) ((in Denver)) the temp dropped fairly rapidly, thus causing some major stress. The store bought Ich treatment worked well with the Cichlids, just not as quickly on the Pleco. I'll give it some time @ higher temps, then treat again.

Am i the only one roticing the stocking in the tank?
All those fish are too big for the tank, except the cory. And they need to be in groups. What kinda pleco is it? The best treatment for ich is CopperSafe. The ich will dissappear in 2 days. Just let the copper run in the tank a little longer than that.

I noticed the stocking of the tank. That is another issue. I wouldn't use coppersafe with cories and plecos myself.

I do agree with kribensis that all the fish except for the cories are too big for the tank. The cause of the ich may be water conditions brought on by the size of the fish.

I apologize; when I post I try to include everything that is important to the question. I know it's not like having a conversation where the Q&A goes much faster. The Dempsey, Firemouth and Green Terror are each about an inch and a half to two inches right now (1.5" - 2") so the 30 gallon is easily large enough for right now. I am currently cycling a new 70 gallon tank (not with old tank water, just in case) which they will move to once treatment is complete.
Thanks for the info on the Cory. Again I didn't know they were that sensitive, but he seems to be doing fine (very active & feeding). I think I'll try the environmental parameters for now, before dosing medication again. If I do dose again, I'll isolate the Pleco for treatment.

CopperSafe may, or may not harm the corry and pleco. Depends on the fish, but Copper has never failed me in treating ich.

Back
Top Bottom