Treating internal parasite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Evening, I'm guessing my poor little guppy has an internal parasite of some sort, please see picture and my other threads.

I've done a course of interpret anti internal bacteria and am dosing the tank with king British revitaliser tonic which is meant to help with this type of problem.

Any help or ideas on how to make him better although he is not my favourite fish he has got through alot so would like to make him better.
I'm in the uk so not sure exactly what is available to me in my LFS which I will be attending first thing in the morning to get something to make him better.
Thanks guys :)

Ok I shall look tomorrow. Not sure if I can get it in this country. He's acting fine but the 'spot' is def getting larger :(

It is one of the few things I can find in Australia and our laws are about the same as yours. Fish meds are next to impossible to find and everyone recommends melifix for everything! *sigh*

Oops im not sure melafic will work here. Will be there at opening and be strict and not buy anymore fishes!
One quick question do you know if internal parasites/worms are catching?? :)

maestromad said:
Oops im not sure melafic will work here. Will be there at opening and be strict and not buy anymore fishes!
One quick question do you know if internal parasites/worms are catching?? :)

Contagious? Yes they are. What other fish do you have? I'd treat all of them just in case.

Sadly he didn't make it overnight :( I've attached a pic of the 'growth'
Is it possible as he has always been fat that it was something physically wrong with him rather than a parasite?
His behaviour didn't change at all and he seemed happy.

I forgot to add that I have juv guppies, corys and ottos all who seem fine with no adverse signs

I'm sorry to hear that.
It kind of looks like he popped and something came out. He could have been suffering from one of a number of issues. Internal infection, parasites or a tumor comes to mind.

Thanks I like to think I did as much as I could for him treating with meds etc. My water readings were excellent.
I just hope everyone else will be ok.
I've lost a fair few fish lately theough poor stock and although there is room for more I don't fancy adding any :(

Hopefully my juvs will get a growth spurt and get their big flowy tails! And maybe I'll get some luck hatching cory eggs.

Then dont bother. Just get a typical "parasite Clear" type of dissolving tablet, up the temp a bit if you want to. Parasites are usually not a problem if the people raising the fish don't neglect them. (not saying you, just the people who raise "feeder" fish of any sort) If he was the only guppy in the tank his stomach could have been filling with eggs, or it could have been a protein rich diet during growth.

I'm not sure what you mean by don't bother. He wasnt the only guppy has always been with others.
I had him since August and he's always been a chubster!

It's really anyone's guess as to what that is in that last picture. If he was acting normal and looked happy, then it probably wasn't a parasite. Anyway, I would treat all the fish that were in that tank just in case. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom