Treating Itch - am I doing this right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Six days ago, I bought 6 black widow tetra and 2 peppered corys. They are in my quarantine tank.

Last night I saw some signs of ich - some little white spots on some of the tetras. They seem otherwise fine, no signs of stress that I can see. The water paramaters are fine too.

I've read up about how to treat ich with heat - but I must admit am nervous of that method with these particular fish.

At the moment what I've done is this -
Added Seachem Paragard which I'll re-dose every 24 hours.
I'll do a 50% water-change every day, vacuming the gravel.
This morning I started raising the temperatures. I know you are not supposed to raise heat as well as introduce medication because of oxygen issues so I'll keep a close eye on that. The tank has very good circulation already.

Since these fish are usually better at comparatively low temperatures, should I rather leave the heat unchanged and just stick with Paragard?

Any other advice?
I don't want to use salt because apparently tetras and corys are sensitive to salt.

So far so good. The temperature is now at 30 and while the corys are very active, no one seems stressed to me. One of the tetras looks a little off, not sure.

Did a 50% water change and added paragard, and hoping for the best.

Back
Top Bottom