Treating Neon Tetra for mouth fungy + adding to a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hana288

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I have a 43L tank with 5 neon tetras 4 guppies and one albino Pleco, two of the neon tetras have developed white growth on their mouths. unfortunatly it got kind of big before I noticed but I have started treating it using blue planet multi cure.

But the thing is I've recently bought a bigger tank (130L) and wanted to add new fish along with these fish to the tank. Yesterday I went and bought new fish for the new tank (dwarf gourami 4, 5 different type of tetra and another little Pleco).

So really I was wondering when would be the right time to add the old fish to my bigger tank. I have already done 2 treatments using blue planet multi cure but I'm not sure if the lumps are going down. I was thinking of adding the guppies and pleco before the next treatment later today since they showed no of being sick. should I keep treating until the lumps go away?

Any advice?

Hi,
I have a 43L tank with 5 neon tetras 4 guppies and one albino Pleco, two of the neon tetras have developed white growth on their mouths. unfortunatly it got kind of big before I noticed but I have started treating it using blue planet multi cure.

But the thing is I've recently bought a bigger tank (130L) and wanted to add new fish along with these fish to the tank. Yesterday I went and bought new fish for the new tank (dwarf gourami 4, 5 different type of tetra and another little Pleco).

So really I was wondering when would be the right time to add the old fish to my bigger tank. I have already done 2 treatments using blue planet multi cure but I'm not sure if the lumps are going down. I was thinking of adding the guppies and pleco before the next treatment later today since they showed no of being sick. should I keep treating until the lumps go away?

Any advice?
My neons have actually developed growths like this on there mouths as well. I have actually lost a few because the growth has become so big that it covered there mouth and they have died because they couldn't eat.
So if your multi cure works, please let me know so I can go out and do the same.
Sorry I don't really have any advice for you.
Good luck

I would not mix the old fish with the new. Old fish may be infected and showing no signs.

I had the tank set up with water and live plant for almost a fortnight and tested for ammonia and nitrite before I added fish yesterday.

I had the tank set up with water and live plant for almost a fortnight and tested for ammonia and nitrite before I added fish yesterday.
But if you didn't have anything in the tank to produce ammonia it wasn't cycling. (example fish, fish food, some even use a piece of shrimp)

I would suggest you read the stickies in the freshwater -getting started section on the nitrogen cycle.

Very likely to be a bacterial infection (columnaris or cottonmouth). I'm guessing the blue planet multi-cure is acriflavine, malachite green, etc. Which is really only for mild bacterial infections. Use the blue planet to clean up or knock back the infection and then antibiotics.

Ime you will have a hard time curing small fish as the infection is well developed by the time it is seen. So your old tank is now effectively a hospital tank, do not use any equipment / mix fish between the two. As above on getting the new tank cycled.

Back
Top Bottom