Treating tank that have fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aprlshwrs

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have a 10g that has 3 adult platy and about 40 fry in a breeding net. I'm trying to get my 29g cycled and ready so I can move the adults. My problem is, the tank isn't ready yet and I just noticed that one of my platy has a white fungus growing on her side and her tail. I want to treat her but I have nowhere to put her and there are fry in the tank. Will treating the tank harm the fry? I don't want to wait too long to do anything, I don't want this to spread...especially to the fry.

I will be doing a PWC but I feel as if I need more than that. Any and all advice is welcome.

Keep the water as clean as possible and see how it goes. It may clear up on it's own with clean water. Can you post a pic? 40+ fish (even if most are fry) is a lot of fish for a 10gal. How big are the fry? Do you own a test kit? What are your parameters?

I'm getting ready to do a PWC in a couple of minutes. Yes, I know that 40 is a lot...which is why I'm trying to get my 29g set up as quickly as possible. Sometimes, things are easier said than done.

The fry are a couple of weeks old. I do own a test kit and nothing tests out of where it should be but maybe it's just that there are suddenly so many fry...and the frequency in which fry are fed. Everything was fine prior to their arrival.

I would post a pic but nothing shows up on my camera...I only have my iPhone, at the moment, and I just get blurry pictures. Frequent water changes won't bother the fry? If not, I may just do a couple more of them each week. I'm already changing 1-2 times a week
(because there are so many in the tank) while I impatiently wait to finish cycling my 29g. (This would have been done sooner but the fry weren't expected and so it caught me off guard.)

Thanks for replying.

Btw...my water parameters are

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate somewhere between 5 and 10ppm (I keep staring at it and keep changing my mind on what it reads.)

aprlshwrs said:
I'm getting ready to do a PWC in a couple of minutes. Yes, I know that 40 is a lot...which is why I'm trying to get my 29g set up as quickly as possible. Sometimes, things are easier said than done.

The fry are a couple of weeks old. I do own a test kit and nothing tests out of where it should be but maybe it's just that there are suddenly so many fry...and the frequency in which fry are fed. Everything was fine prior to their arrival.

I would post a pic but nothing shows up on my camera...I only have my iPhone, at the moment, and I just get blurry pictures. Frequent water changes won't bother the fry? If not, I may just do a couple more of them each week. I'm already changing 1-2 times a week
(because there are so many in the tank) while I impatiently wait to finish cycling my 29g. (This would have been done sooner but the fry weren't expected and so it caught me off guard.)

Thanks for replying.

Ok your params are good. (y) PWC won't harm the fry in any way. The more the better. Fry need pristine water conditions (even more so than mature fish). You do have the option to move all the fish (fry and all) over to the 29 with the filter from the 10.
I don't know what else to suggest. I'm not sure what meds to suggest. I don't have any experience with them. Sorry.

I just did a massive water change...I hope that helps. Ironically or maybe not...I found about 8-10 more babies in the gravel when I did the water change. (I didn't count...I just kept trying to catch them before I sucked them up.) Um...that tells me that one of my females gave birth...again. I think this is an "again" scenario as I did a water change not long after the first batch and I wasn't chasing babies then. This makes me more anxious about getting my 29g set up. On the bright side, it seems as if it's almost cycled. If so, I may try to move everyone over on Monday. I just want to keep dosing for a couple more days to make sure everything really is going well.

Hopefully, this water change will help tremendously...I'll do another one in a couple of days and see how things go. I may have to do them every other day until I can get everything moved. I'm hoping her fungus will clear up with the change.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom