treating tank with "general cure"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carpediem

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there,

I know, it has been a while, but I am back now. After loosing my otocinclus (it was a substitute that the lfs gave me when I got my fish back after the cycle with "fuzzy") shortly after, everything is settled, except for my platy female.

Being chased by two males (yes, the lady that I got turned out to be a male, which explains the harassment from the other male), she was not thriving very well. She started to swim sort of "upright" with her vent open (showing white). Since I also detected two fry in my tank I rushed to the fish store and was told it is a parasite and they gave me "general cure" from aquarium pharmaceuticals.

I took the apple snail out into a 1 gal mason jar filled with my aquarium water before adding the medication to the tank. Will she survive in a jar with an algea wafer without any pump or filtration for 6 days? I was told to medicate one capsule a day for three days and after that 72 hours before adding the snail again.

Here my specs:
10 gal tank with 3 platies, one cory albino, 2 guppies, 2 fry (I assume guppy fry) and 3 glowlight and 1 plant (looks like a fern type)

pH 7.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate unknown

Now I have second thoughts about not coming here first.

The snail will be fine; do a PWC in 3 days with tap water and dechlor.

I have no idea what is wrong with your fish. Are the others showing any signs of parasites? What made the employee at the LFS decide your fish was suffering from parasites and not bacteria or fungal infection? She the poo stringy and white?

She is sort of getting thinner and thinner with her vent open. Nothing visible on the outside. She seems to be getting weaker and mostly scrapes around the gravel or lies in a bell ornament sort of sideways. Then, when feeding, she sort of wiggles her way straight up to the surface and nibbles on food, then sinks back down. I have not seen poo in a while (seems to be not much in her though). None of the other fish seem to be affected by it.

Thanks for your advice with the snail.

Back
Top Bottom