Treating white spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stephen86

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been treating for white spot for six days now today was the last dose but it doesn't seem to av made a difference could have got worse I've taken all the carbon out too am I doing something wrong?

What are you treating it with?

You can actually treat ich med free by using heat. Just increase the temp up to 86 and hold it there until a week after the last sign of ich disappears.

I second Mebbid on the advice. Use heat to treat Ick. I believe that you lose less fish that way and the majority that remain will be healthier for not being medicated. Some losses may have happened anyway - don't blame the heat. Do increase water surface agitation whilst at a higher temp as the water holds less oxygen. Dropping the tank level so filter outlets splash into the tank is a good way. Do wait a week after all signs of Ick have gone to ensure the Ick cycle had been destroyed.
I learned my lesson when I added fish straight into my display tank so please do quarantine all new fish for a couple of weeks - in particular, multi-chain fish shops seem to be rife with it.

Sound advice from the first two, just follow those steps mentioned above and hopefully you'll see some good results.

Ok the fish will survive the 86 degrees? Got some discus barbs and loaches and rams?

How large of a tank is this again and what power heater do you have? The fish should be okay from the temp. Assuming your heater can handle the higher temp that is.

In addition to slowly raising heat, I would also highly recommend frequent water changes to remove as many of the parasites as possible. Vacuum you gravel too. This will remove free swimming and cyst ich forms and reduce the reinfection rate.

Back
Top Bottom