Treatment of Bettas with Fin Rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iwtrclr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am getting ready to set up a 5 gallon tank for one of my Male Bettas which is my primary reason for joining but I have been impressed by the amount of chatter on this forum.. I was not as educated as many and have several in 2 gallon bowls... I do a 100% water change and rinse every Sunday and we seemed to be ok for the past 6 months... Now I have two with fin rot...one is being treated with Melafix and the other on a fungus med...I'm really on a learning curve. The one on Melafix is fighting his way back to feisty, I haven't seen much of a change yet on the other.... Question of the day is should I transition Cezanne off fungus med to Melafix?? Also, how long does Rothko stay on clean water and Melafix? Till fins are 100%?

Iwtrclr said:
I am getting ready to set up a 5 gallon tank for one of my Male Bettas which is my primary reason for joining but I have been impressed by the amount of chatter on this forum.. I was not as educated as many and have several in 2 gallon bowls... I do a 100% water change and rinse every Sunday and we seemed to be ok for the past 6 months... Now I have two with fin rot...one is being treated with Melafix and the other on a fungus med...I'm really on a learning curve. The one on Melafix is fighting his way back to feisty, I haven't seen much of a change yet on the other.... Question of the day is should I transition Cezanne off fungus med to Melafix?? Also, how long does Rothko stay on clean water and Melafix? Till fins are 100%?

Make sure you cycle the five gal
For Cezanna I'd switch to melafix and do lots of water changes
For Rothko keep him on the clean water permanently and the melafix for 3 days after all signs of rot are gone
I'd rotate them in the five gal until you get another five gal so one week in the five then a week in a bowl etc.
Be sure to filter and heat the five
Finally, welcome!

Welcome to the site! I am switching this to the unhealthy fish section so you can get more responses. :)
Beware of melafix! Some bettas have a really bad reaction to it, so if you want to use it, I suggest diluting it. I believe 1/5 is the safe amount, but you should double check that.
Fin rot is typically pretty easy to fix with clean water. I suggest treating with salt to see if that helps at all. Fin rot is caused by a bacteria, not fungus, so that is why the anti-fungal isn't working. What brand are you currently using?

What type of salt??? I've never heard or read anything about that. Rothko my crown tail seems to be improving but his regrowth is a bit curly.... Cezanne is a flowing half moon that lost the bottom of the moon and does not seem to be improving much... The tips of his fins are no longer black but they are not moving as they were.

Iwtrclr said:
What type of salt??? I've never heard or read anything about that. Rothko my crown tail seems to be improving but his regrowth is a bit curly.... Cezanne is a flowing half moon that lost the bottom of the moon and does not seem to be improving much... The tips of his fins are no longer black but they are not moving as they were.

Aquarium salt is what is being referenced

Epsom salt or kosher salt. Nothing with iodine in it, so not standard table salt.
If the fin tips aren't black, that's a good sign. He should hopefully be able to start growing his fins back soon. :)

I have large grains of Kosher salt and their in 2 gallon bowls... Do you think two grains??? One is maintaining his color has improved and black gone but no new growth... The other my half moon still has black tips on the bottom of the moon but a little regrowth on the back.

Had sea salt put in 6 crystals... I'll do daily water changes.... I really want these two to make it!

absolutangel04 said:
Epsom salt or kosher salt. Nothing with iodine in it, so not standard table salt.
If the fin tips aren't black, that's a good sign. He should hopefully be able to start growing his fins back soon. :)

Thank you!!!! The bacteria is no longer obvious and the edges of the fins are no longer black! I have one still on salt water and one switched to regular water. They are still alive which makes me very happy!

Turn of events... Switched to h2 o with bettabasics and fins are falling off in chunks... He's still active and eating one pellet morning and night but looks brown on the base of his body and on his gills. I feel like I am left to just make him comfortable with water changes... Not looking good!

Went back to saltwater today... He's a fighter! I'm not giving up but this has been about 3 weeks of recovery! I hope he makes it. I'm guessing I switched back to regular water too soon. Wish us luck!

Back
Top Bottom