Treatment time for Ich heat treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dalto

Aquarium Advice Addict
Up until recently I hadn't had a tank with Ich in a long time so I have been renewing my reading on Ich as well as my own opinions from the past. As with virtually anything with fishkeeping there is an immense amount of conflicting information.

When treating with the heat method, I found from my notes that my methodology was continue the heat treatment for 2 weeks total or 10 days after the visible Ich was gone. Since Ich generally takes 2-3 days to disappear these are pretty close to the same amount of time.

However, the more I read the more I see how varied the time is. I have seen everything from 2-21 days after visible Ich is gone. 2 days seems like not enough given the life-cycle of Ich, another common recommendation of 7 days total seems like it is cutting it pretty close depending on how long it takes the Ich to disappear. On the other hand, 3 weeks seems like overkill.

Since I have no real data to back up my thoughts I thought I would ask how long the members here treat freshwater Ich when using the heat treatment.

I usually think a week after spots gone (assuming no risk of bacterial). At high heat, I've had spots last well past the life-cycle so have settled on this. Be interested what others do as well.

Ten days of 86 degrees, 20%-25% WC every other day. After the initial ten day treatment, lower temp. to normal temp. range and continue the noted WC' s for another week. I don't use the salt option,

Back
Top Bottom