treatment verification and advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
My boyfriend and I got a second goldfish and a bigger tank. The new goldfish came with some issues and I wanna make sure I'm handling them the best I can. Our red cap oranda has the body shape of a koi or common goldfish. Also, he has a nice bright red sore in his left gill. His gill plate is kinda orange but i can't really tell if that's the color or part of the sore. I've been feeding pellets morning and night with veggies in the afternoon. I've been watching the water quality as closely as I can. We're doing water changes to keep the water cleaned up. Does this sound good? Is there more I should be doing? Thanks.

Any chance of a photo?

'sores' are normally ulcerative lesions caused by bacteria, often Aeromonas salmonicida. Is the sore whitish in the centre? Addition of aquarium salt at 1 tablespoon (15g) per 4 gallons can be helpful, but you also need an anti-bacterial treatment.

You are doing well by maintaining good conditions, feeding etc and sometimes this will be enough as the fish's immune system fights off the infection, but it is a risky strategy as the bacteria can spread. If spreads internally, it is extremely difficult to cure.

Best to go to your lfs and get an antibacterial treatment. Failing that, antibiotic feed may be the answer.

If you can get hold of Chloramine t, this can also be tried in daily baths of up to 20ppm - dipping the fish for upto 15 minutes (remove the fish at any sign of stress). If you want to try this, let me know and I will advise further. I have used chloramine t many times. It is also an excellent disinfectant when cleaning tanks and equipment and for disinfecting nets.

iodine based treatments are also effective, but may take longer.

He won't hold still long enough for a decent photo. I'm trying to describe it. There's no white spot. It looks red and sore. The other one is light red or dark pink but the left one is deep like inflammation red but not swollen.

Perhaps lift him out and hold him in a net for a pic?

To be honest though, I think my suggestions are what you need. That sounds like A. salmonicida, which normally attacks a wound when a fish is stressed.

I have to leave the computer now as it is bedtime here in Blighty, but I will check in tomorrow. Don't worry, this shouldn't worsen too much too quickly.

Try and get hold of a proprietary antibac treatment and add some aquarium salt as I suggest. Mix the required amount of salt in a bucket of aquarium water and add it gradually. That dose is a general dose that helps goldfish maintain normal osmosis and is always a good backup whilst treating with meds.

Back
Top Bottom