trouble in paradise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

i was admiring the new lights over my tank just now when my weather loach came out and started twitching into the sand, not like he usualy does when he burrows under it. then one of my clown loaches started twitching. then i think i might have been getting paranoid, but a couple tetras looked like they were too, real jerky movements. and i remember that i just brought home some new fish a week ago from the fish store that they just got in. this might be flashing.

what should i do? i looked real close before the lights turned off but didnt see anything on the fish. heres the tank info. 50 gallons, ammonia is 0. ph is 7. nitrite is 0. nitrates were very low when i tested them this afternoon. i have the aquarium pharmicuticals test kit.

It may be ich. You could start a preventive measure by raising your temp to 82d F. I wouldn't use any meds at this point. By raising the temp a bit, you increase the speed of the life cycle. If it is ich, it will show up very soon and you won't have to raise the temp too much to begin the therapy.

Ok, cool. I turned on the heater and started to raise the temps. should i think about adding aquarium salt? i read the sticky about ich at the top and it is fitting the description so far.

Yes you could dose salt, it certainly cannot hurt at this point. What is the current temp?

Edit - whoops, totally forgot your stock. Don't dose salt as it can harm your fish. The higher temp treatment is fine for now.

ok, the temp is 88f. i have one of those floating thermometers on the opposite side of the tank from the heater. no salt. if i get too close to the tank, the suspect fish hide so i cant look for ich signs. i will look real close @ other fish for any white specs and let you know.

edit part:

i know you said to raise it to 82f, but it was already hot from being hot here, i just have a fan running.

Back
Top Bottom