Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unhappy Trying to save a Betta

I was given a Betta from a friend on Tuesday. He was kept in a 1/2 gallon tank with no heater, filter, or decorations. I haven't been able to get him to eat, even if it is blood worms. He is lethargic, has clamped fins, and white, stringy poop. The last symptom leads me to believe it is an internal parasite. Is this diagnosis correct? If not, what might it be and how shall I treat this ailment?

By the way, he is currently in a gently filtered, heated, and sparsely planted 5g.

Why buy what you can DIY?
adadkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

It sounds like an internal parasite. The poor little guy! I would try treating the water with a product that contains metronizadole & praziquantel since he is not eating. I believe theres quite a few products available in Petsmart/petco. Jungle makes one thats pretty common (parasite clear). What I dont know is how sensitive bettas are to these products. Hopefully, someone with betta experience has a better idea! Good luck!

Old 03-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, that is what I decided after tons of research. I actually got some Jungle Parasite Clear Fizz Tabs for $3.74 at Wally World, and added the recommended dose to his tank yesterday evening. He has show a tad bit of improvement, but I guess it'll be slow going for a little while. Fingers crossed he makes a complete recovery.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Good luck!!! I hope he makes a speedy recovery!
Old 03-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I hope he's better. Bettas are so pretty and have such personality.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, this one is the classic red veiltail Betta. I know there has to be a great presonality somewhere hidden below his suffering.

I did a 25% PWC per the instructions on the box and dropped in another fizz tab. I guess I will end up having to do a 3rd dose if he doesn't begin looking up within the next 36 hours. I just can't stand to see him in this condition; it hurts me. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
Look It Up

It also could be constipation/bloat. Bettas are prone to this if they are overfed or not fed correctly and one of the symptoms is white stringy poop (which can be difficult to diagnose; is it constipation or a parasite).

Since you already started the treatment, then that's fine, just thought I'd throw out another suggestion. When you feed him you might want to try a boiled, deshelled frozen pea (I break off a few tiny pieces and feed it to my betta once per week) then fast him for a day or two. If it is constipation that should help.
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I debated bloat, and tried feeding him a pea to see if he would eat it. He didn't even act interested. He won't eat anything, so I don't know how long he can go like this. I've heard of Bettas living a month on only a few bloodworms (sickness), but I'd like to try to remedy this before we go that long. I don't know what else to do if this medicine doesn't work.

He still just sits at the top (doesn't float awkwardly like bloat/swim bladder though), won't eat, and doesn't move except for his gills. He is breathing normally, is in clean and heated water so I am just at a loss.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

More bad news: Today I noticed that the Betta had come down with fin rot (fungal). I am now going to proceed doing more PWC's since I have been treating for internal parasites with not change. I am still at a loss, what could be causing all his symptoms?

Old 03-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by adadkins1
More bad news: Today I noticed that the Betta had come down with fin rot (fungal). I am now going to proceed doing more PWC's since I have been treating for internal parasites with not change. I am still at a loss, what could be causing all his symptoms?
Poor guy! Is he eating yet? Even healthy bettas will refuse to eat for a few days in a new tank. Fin rot will clear up with lots of clean water- if that is what it is. Columnaris can also start rapidly destroying fins. Fingers crossed that isn't it!

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com