Trying to save a Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was given a Betta from a friend on Tuesday. He was kept in a 1/2 gallon tank with no heater, filter, or decorations. I haven't been able to get him to eat, even if it is blood worms. He is lethargic, has clamped fins, and white, stringy poop. The last symptom leads me to believe it is an internal parasite. Is this diagnosis correct? If not, what might it be and how shall I treat this ailment?

By the way, he is currently in a gently filtered, heated, and sparsely planted 5g.

It sounds like an internal parasite. The poor little guy! I would try treating the water with a product that contains metronizadole & praziquantel since he is not eating. I believe theres quite a few products available in Petsmart/petco. Jungle makes one thats pretty common (parasite clear). What I dont know is how sensitive bettas are to these products. Hopefully, someone with betta experience has a better idea! Good luck!

Thanks, that is what I decided after tons of research. I actually got some Jungle Parasite Clear Fizz Tabs for $3.74 at Wally World, and added the recommended dose to his tank yesterday evening. He has show a tad bit of improvement, but I guess it'll be slow going for a little while. Fingers crossed he makes a complete recovery.

I hope he's better. Bettas are so pretty and have such personality.

Yes, this one is the classic red veiltail Betta. I know there has to be a great presonality somewhere hidden below his suffering.

I did a 25% PWC per the instructions on the box and dropped in another fizz tab. I guess I will end up having to do a 3rd dose if he doesn't begin looking up within the next 36 hours. I just can't stand to see him in this condition; it hurts me. Keeping my fingers crossed.

It also could be constipation/bloat. Bettas are prone to this if they are overfed or not fed correctly and one of the symptoms is white stringy poop (which can be difficult to diagnose; is it constipation or a parasite).

Since you already started the treatment, then that's fine, just thought I'd throw out another suggestion. When you feed him you might want to try a boiled, deshelled frozen pea (I break off a few tiny pieces and feed it to my betta once per week) then fast him for a day or two. If it is constipation that should help.

I debated bloat, and tried feeding him a pea to see if he would eat it. He didn't even act interested. He won't eat anything, so I don't know how long he can go like this. I've heard of Bettas living a month on only a few bloodworms (sickness), but I'd like to try to remedy this before we go that long. I don't know what else to do if this medicine doesn't work.

He still just sits at the top (doesn't float awkwardly like bloat/swim bladder though), won't eat, and doesn't move except for his gills. He is breathing normally, is in clean and heated water so I am just at a loss.

More bad news: Today I noticed that the Betta had come down with fin rot (fungal). I am now going to proceed doing more PWC's since I have been treating for internal parasites with not change. I am still at a loss, what could be causing all his symptoms?

adadkins1 said:
More bad news: Today I noticed that the Betta had come down with fin rot (fungal). I am now going to proceed doing more PWC's since I have been treating for internal parasites with not change. I am still at a loss, what could be causing all his symptoms?

Poor guy! Is he eating yet? Even healthy bettas will refuse to eat for a few days in a new tank. Fin rot will clear up with lots of clean water- if that is what it is. Columnaris can also start rapidly destroying fins. Fingers crossed that isn't it!

Nope, he is still refusing to eat and is painfully lethargic. I'm gonna start doing the frequent PWC's since the parasite treatment has been completed with no resolve. This isn't Columnaris, it is a very slow progression so he just has "typical" fin rot. Any other ideas for his current state and treatments would be great. He is just so lethargic that it could be a myriad of diseases as far as I know.

He could also be in shock if he was kept in poor conditions and then you placed him in a really clean environment. It's sad that you have to acclimate them to decent water slowly.

Yeah, I tried to do it fairly slowly. I just hope he starts improving because I hate seeing sick fish.

Does he have decent plants near the surface to hang out on? When my son's betta was really sick (swim bladder and fin rot), he kept hanging himself up on the plants to stay at the top of the tank. He had real problems swimming. I got him a betta hammock and he pretty much stayed in it until he started feeling better and swimming more freely. Now he seems to pretty much ignore it, but I've left it in place, just in case.

The peas seemed to help with the swim bladder issue - I just had to wait him out on them. He wasn't interested at first, but it was the only food I offered him.

Daily pwcs helped with the fin rot and his fins are finally mending. Slow going though - it's been months now and they still have a long way to grow.

Patience! Here's hoping things start looking up for him.

Yep, he has go plenty of Duckweed and several Dwarf Water Lettuce plants at the surface.

I guess I'll just have to stay very patient as you said! :)

Back
Top Bottom