Tumor on goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PennyB

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. I’ve joined this site as I have a beautiful shubumkin named Sid. I won him at my local fair 3 years ago. He was about 2 ins long. He’s now grown to about 8/9 ins. He’s active and seems happy, though I’m contemplating getting a larger tank again to allow him more room for swimming. I’ve been worried just lately as this little white lump on his head that I noticed just before Xmas has now got much larger. Could it be a tumour? Most importantly could it be fatal. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 0BEC7BD6-7331-4F43-8483-263FA284B1EF.jpg
    0BEC7BD6-7331-4F43-8483-263FA284B1EF.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 119
Welcome to the community. Pretty Sid.

this is a quote from jlk in a long back thread

"How do your parameters look? What size is this tank? What kind of wc schedule do you have (%/#wk)? What do you normally feed?

[...]Goldfish are subject to a variety of growths and tumors. Most of them are viral such as lymphocystis or carp pox. They generally are non-lethal issues as long as they do not affect a fish's ability to swim, eat or breath.

They are, however, unsightly. There is no treatment other than pristine water (lots and lots of wcs) and a very healthy, nutritious diet that helps to support immune function. If the growths become very large, they can be surgically removed but will generally grow back. I would not recommend purchasing another fish at this point in time."

Welcome to the community. Pretty Sid.

this is a quote from jlk in a long back thread

"How do your parameters look? What size is this tank? What kind of wc schedule do you have (%/#wk)? What do you normally feed?

[...]Goldfish are subject to a variety of growths and tumors. Most of them are viral such as lymphocystis or carp pox. They generally are non-lethal issues as long as they do not affect a fish's ability to swim, eat or breath.

They are, however, unsightly. There is no treatment other than pristine water (lots and lots of wcs) and a very healthy, nutritious diet that helps to support immune function. If the growths become very large, they can be surgically removed but will generally grow back. I would not recommend purchasing another fish at this point in time."
Hi Autumnsky.
Thanks for your response and apologies for taking so long to get back to you. Since last posting my query, the white spot got larger and looked horrible like stringy bits hanging from it. I took another picture of it and showed it to my local aquarium. He said it looked fungal. I have now treated the tank with an anti fungus solution. Hopefully I will see a difference in a week or so. I’ve checked the water levels.. nitrite, nitrate and ammonia levels and their all good. I was able to wipe the spot with a cotton bud and a lot came off. Sid now has a a bit of a crater (hole) where there is still white stuff coming out but he’s good though and still swimming around healthily. I am going to get him a bigger tank soon. He’s in a 65ltr at the moment but it’s obvious that he needs more room to swim. I’m looking to get 85-110 ltr tank. I will keep you posted on his condition.

The way you described this and where it's located sounds like hole in the head disease or Head and Lateral Line Erosion. If you can get your hands on Seachem Metroplex where you live I would medicate with it. Hole in the head disease is caused by the parasite Hexamita. I would immediately start several partial water changes. Clean water helps the healing process and poor water conditions are what usually bring on hole in the head.

The way you described this and where it's located sounds like hole in the head disease or Head and Lateral Line Erosion. If you can get your hands on Seachem Metroplex where you live I would medicate with it. Hole in the head disease is caused by the parasite Hexamita. I would immediately start several partial water changes. Clean water helps the healing process and poor water conditions are what usually bring on hole in the head.
Hi Kingfisher. When I managed to wipe the area and some of the white stuff came off, that’s when I noticed the hole. His tank is clean. I will take another pic of it before and after I wiped it and take it to the aquarium again to see what they think. Thanks for your advise though. I did think the same when I saw the hole. Obviously at the time it just looked like fungus.

Picture of Sid’s poorly head.

Here is the pics of the fungus and after I wiped some of it off.

Attachments

• F9AAE2DF-2BF5-458D-AB55-7E337F76FB9F.jpg
    F9AAE2DF-2BF5-458D-AB55-7E337F76FB9F.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 398
  • 16164728-EEC5-47A4-8EBF-47C5D8EA6290.jpg
    16164728-EEC5-47A4-8EBF-47C5D8EA6290.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 55
I would treat for hole in the head because if you catch it early there's a better chance for survival.

Hole in the head disease. The pic looks really similar to the pic of your fish. Again I am not sure what it is, but just check a little more about it, because if it is it is usually fatal. But able to be treated. I hope in any case you can fix Sid up.
FAQs on Freshwater Head and Lateral Line Disease, HLLE, HITH (Hole In The Head)... 1

Check this pic in the parasitic disease section link in table of contents.
https://modestfish.com/fish-disease-guide/
Good morning Autumnsky. I think you and Kingfisher are right. I’m going to get some medication for him today. Since I put the fungus solution in last night the fungus has disappeared but he now has the hole there. He’s a little lethargic this morning. I’ll keep you posted.

Hi Kingfisher. When I managed to wipe the area and some of the white stuff came off, that’s when I noticed the hole. His tank is clean. I will take another pic of it before and after I wiped it and take it to the aquarium again to see what they think. Thanks for your advise though. I did think the same when I saw the hole. Obviously at the time it just looked like fungus.
Good morning Kingfisher. I am going to get some medication for Sid today. I think it is hole in the head. I will keep you posted.

My Sid

Hi Everyone.
Well I’m pleased to announce that the hole on Sids head has healed and he’s back to his old self again. Swimming around his tank and very perky. I took pictures to the aquarium and they didn’t think it was hole in the head and suggested trying the Interpret anti fungus solution first which I’ve been using for the last 2 water changes and it’s now cleared up. I’m now going to treat him to his bigger tank as he loves ducking and diving and needs more room.
I’d like to thank those that took interest and gave me advise. Here is some pics of Sid now. Many Thanks.

Attachments

• B20B1557-D7DB-4772-8EAD-C2F81980762B.jpg
    B20B1557-D7DB-4772-8EAD-C2F81980762B.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 54
  • BE0F51F3-A273-4AF2-8573-F0CB5206F254.jpg
    BE0F51F3-A273-4AF2-8573-F0CB5206F254.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 9C78C79B-0281-41C6-BA17-71E7B82FB59C.jpg
    9C78C79B-0281-41C6-BA17-71E7B82FB59C.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top Bottom