Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2019, 10:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Tumor on goldfish

Hi everyone. Iíve joined this site as I have a beautiful shubumkin named Sid. I won him at my local fair 3 years ago. He was about 2 ins long. Heís now grown to about 8/9 ins. Heís active and seems happy, though Iím contemplating getting a larger tank again to allow him more room for swimming. Iíve been worried just lately as this little white lump on his head that I noticed just before Xmas has now got much larger. Could it be a tumour? Most importantly could it be fatal. Any advice would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0BEC7BD6-7331-4F43-8483-263FA284B1EF.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	312312  

Old 03-11-2019, 03:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Welcome to the community. Pretty Sid.

this is a quote from jlk in a long back thread

"How do your parameters look? What size is this tank? What kind of wc schedule do you have (%/#wk)? What do you normally feed?

[...]Goldfish are subject to a variety of growths and tumors. Most of them are viral such as lymphocystis or carp pox. They generally are non-lethal issues as long as they do not affect a fish's ability to swim, eat or breath.

They are, however, unsightly. There is no treatment other than pristine water (lots and lots of wcs) and a very healthy, nutritious diet that helps to support immune function. If the growths become very large, they can be surgically removed but will generally grow back. I would not recommend purchasing another fish at this point in time."

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Welcome to the community. Pretty Sid.

this is a quote from jlk in a long back thread

"How do your parameters look? What size is this tank? What kind of wc schedule do you have (%/#wk)? What do you normally feed?

[...]Goldfish are subject to a variety of growths and tumors. Most of them are viral such as lymphocystis or carp pox. They generally are non-lethal issues as long as they do not affect a fish's ability to swim, eat or breath.

They are, however, unsightly. There is no treatment other than pristine water (lots and lots of wcs) and a very healthy, nutritious diet that helps to support immune function. If the growths become very large, they can be surgically removed but will generally grow back. I would not recommend purchasing another fish at this point in time."
Hi Autumnsky.
Thanks for your response and apologies for taking so long to get back to you. Since last posting my query, the white spot got larger and looked horrible like stringy bits hanging from it. I took another picture of it and showed it to my local aquarium. He said it looked fungal. I have now treated the tank with an anti fungus solution. Hopefully I will see a difference in a week or so. I’ve checked the water levels.. nitrite, nitrate and ammonia levels and their all good. I was able to wipe the spot with a cotton bud and a lot came off. Sid now has a a bit of a crater (hole) where there is still white stuff coming out but he’s good though and still swimming around healthily. I am going to get him a bigger tank soon. He’s in a 65ltr at the moment but it’s obvious that he needs more room to swim. I’m looking to get 85-110 ltr tank. I will keep you posted on his condition.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The way you described this and where it's located sounds like hole in the head disease or Head and Lateral Line Erosion. If you can get your hands on Seachem Metroplex where you live I would medicate with it. Hole in the head disease is caused by the parasite Hexamita. I would immediately start several partial water changes. Clean water helps the healing process and poor water conditions are what usually bring on hole in the head.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
The way you described this and where it's located sounds like hole in the head disease or Head and Lateral Line Erosion. If you can get your hands on Seachem Metroplex where you live I would medicate with it. Hole in the head disease is caused by the parasite Hexamita. I would immediately start several partial water changes. Clean water helps the healing process and poor water conditions are what usually bring on hole in the head.
Hi Kingfisher. When I managed to wipe the area and some of the white stuff came off, that’s when I noticed the hole. His tank is clean. I will take another pic of it before and after I wiped it and take it to the aquarium again to see what they think. Thanks for your advise though. I did think the same when I saw the hole. Obviously at the time it just looked like fungus.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Picture of Sidís poorly head.

Here is the pics of the fungus and after I wiped some of it off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F9AAE2DF-2BF5-458D-AB55-7E337F76FB9F.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	312832   Click image for larger version

Name:	16164728-EEC5-47A4-8EBF-47C5D8EA6290.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	312833  

Old 05-04-2019, 12:55 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hole in the head disease. The pic looks really similar to the pic of your fish. Again I am not sure what it is, but just check a little more about it, because if it is it is usually fatal. But able to be treated. I hope in any case you can fix Sid up.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/fwhllefaqs.htm

Check this pic in the parasitic disease section link in table of contents.
https://modestfish.com/fish-disease-guide/

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:47 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would treat for hole in the head because if you catch it early there's a better chance for survival.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Hole in the head disease. The pic looks really similar to the pic of your fish. Again I am not sure what it is, but just check a little more about it, because if it is it is usually fatal. But able to be treated. I hope in any case you can fix Sid up.
FAQs on Freshwater Head and Lateral Line Disease, HLLE, HITH (Hole In The Head)... 1

Check this pic in the parasitic disease section link in table of contents.
https://modestfish.com/fish-disease-guide/
Good morning Autumnsky. I think you and Kingfisher are right. I’m going to get some medication for him today. Since I put the fungus solution in last night the fungus has disappeared but he now has the hole there. He’s a little lethargic this morning. I’ll keep you posted.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyB View Post
Hi Kingfisher. When I managed to wipe the area and some of the white stuff came off, that’s when I noticed the hole. His tank is clean. I will take another pic of it before and after I wiped it and take it to the aquarium again to see what they think. Thanks for your advise though. I did think the same when I saw the hole. Obviously at the time it just looked like fungus.
Good morning Kingfisher. I am going to get some medication for Sid today. I think it is hole in the head. I will keep you posted.

Tags
tumor, goldfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com