Tumor on platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

platycrazy19

Aquarium Advice Activist
A couple weeks ago I went to my lfs and got two female platys. One had very unique colors. she has a black head with a yellow body, also she has one white eye and one black eye. After I got her home I noticed that the side with the black eye seemed raised and kind of lumpy. I thought that maybe it was a birth-defect or something because shes pretty young. Though when I looked at her today it looked somewhat worse. She also seems to be thin (if that's possible) and has also been hanging around the filter intake (though I'm finishing cycling and thought that might be just from the ammonia stress). I tried to get some pictures though I apologize they are not very clear. I'm stumped here I really don't know what it could be other then some kind of tumor.

Attachments

• IMG_3145.jpg
    IMG_3145.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_3147.jpg
    IMG_3147.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_3148.jpg
    IMG_3148.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 177
I'm on my phone so I can't see the pictures very well so I apologize if I'm totally off here, but could it be popeye?? She is a gorgeous platy, I hope she makes it!!

I don't think its popeye it looks more like the black lumpy part is growing over the eye that is white. and the eyes are not popping out in anyway.

I was browsing the web and found a site that mentioned something called gill tumors. It didn't say much other than it is a tumor on the gills and makes it difficult for the fish to close its gills. It also said its caused by a thyroid dysfunction and can be treated with iodine. Any thoughts on this?

now that I look more that idea seems like a long shot. I think i'm looking at a tumor do to hybridization. She seems healthy right now so as long as she doesn't seem as though she is suffering I guess all I can do is just let her be.

i would do a watch and wait. this could be something that she can live very easily with. if she's eating and doesn't seem to be in any distress then just watch her. i wouldn't treat with anything as it seems to be a birth defect of some kind. good luck!

Back
Top Bottom