tumor redux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazycat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i posted a few days ago wondering if it were possible that my whiptail catfish had a tumor. the general consensus was that what i had described was indeed a tumor.

original thread
http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=59910&highlight=

so now i have new info. i talked to the guy i bought the fish from, and he said that his 3 or 4 remaining whiptails are exhibiting the same tumor-like growth in exactly the same place (bottom of the caudal fin). he say that none of the other non-whiptails in the tank have been affected--so it's probably not contagious.

does this info support or refute the possibility that it's a tumor? how possible it is for a group of whiptails to have the same growth, in the same spot?

is this an example of hereditary disease?

btw, the other whiptail i got from him is fine, as were a lot of his other that he sold.

very puzzled.

Sounds like a hereditarily passed tumor. The parents could have been perfectly normal because it usually requires two or more separate defects to get the uncontrolled growth. Some viruses can cause tumors as well.

i wish i were that clever! but i'm afraid i would do more damage than good...how about i ship him off to you for some surgery? :)

thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom