Two dead Beta's in 3 days ? Unknown cause

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supradupafast

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello All!

Well, this all happened last weekend. In my smaller 10Gal Tank, I had been keeping 2 Male Betas (Yes, with a separator) & each had their own 10Gal Filter. The Betas were kept with a Rock Shrimp (x1). They had been living in the same environment for about 6-7 months. About 3 weeks before they died, we added 3 more Rock Shrimps to the tank. A week before their death, I noticed what appeared to be Fin Rot on one of the Beta's (Blue Beta) pectoral fin. It then became Bloated and looked sick. I Did a 50% water change & Vac'd the bottom. On the Friday, I tried a Salt bath, and raised the water Temp to 80F (about 1 Deg every 3-4 hrs). On Saturday, It wasn't moving it's Fin at all, but was still eating, and swimming.
This was when, all of a sudden, I noticed the other (Which had seemed unaffected) Beta (Red Beta) was bloated, and stayed inactive at the bottom of the Tank. Then, on Sunday, this Beta was dead. (Red Beta). When I pulled him out to examine it, it's Caudral Back Fin was all ripped. I had never noticed any rips prior to it's death. ??
The sick (Blue) Beta died 2 days after... It did have a white (cloth like bump) on its face.

The 4 Shrimps seem unaffected (1 week after). I am clueless to what happened ? The only thing we did in that week, was a water change (yes, dechlorinator was used), Vaccumed the bottom. We did add some Riftwood (Boiled in water before putting in the Tank)

Water P's have not changed from what they have been for a month (ever since I purchased the API Liquid Master)
Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, PH 7.8 (Stable)

I am still trying to find out what happened, and what Parasite may have killed the 2 fish? How do I know that Parasite is no longer in my Tank before I add new Fish to it? I was thinking of getting some Zebra Danios, but want to make sure the Tank is safe for them before. I have cleaned and changed the Filter Media, and will be performing additional water changes.

Any help would be appreciated since I am still fairly new to all the "Technical" aquarium enthousiast.

Back
Top Bottom