Two deaths today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trackfast

Aquarium Advice Freak
First, Happy Holidays to all!

I was starting my PWC/cleaning (weekly thing) and one of my Zebra Danios got sick up into the gravel cleaner. I stopped the siphon and it fell out. My fish have never gotten caught bc the usually swim away fast. It was slow and lethargic and then I noticed my Oto acting the same way. They were lifeless a few minutes later. The Zebra was purchased when I started the tank (1 of 3) and the Oto I've also had for a few months. My water parameters are normal and the other fish (Zebra Danios, Gouramis, CR shrimp and snails) seem fine. It did seem like the stomach of the two were a little bloated. After cleaning, I removed the bodies and put them in ice water; wanted to euthanized in case they were still suffering. I have noticed red worms in the bucket after my PWC recently. No changes in diet or decor. pH 8.2; Temp. 76.6F; Normal water parameters (0 ammonia,etc); HOB Penguin 150. 20G high tank; planted. What's going on? :(

Attachments

• IMG01033-20101225-1343.jpg
    IMG01033-20101225-1343.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG01035-20101225-1344.jpg
    IMG01035-20101225-1344.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to hear about the fish deaths, especially on Christmas. The bloated stomachs look like a case of dropsy. Dropsy is not a disease of itself but it's a sign that something else is wrong - an infection, tumor, organ failure. The red worms could be suspicious. Are you feeding live worms (maybe some didn't get eaten) or maybe they could be parasites?

I waas feeding them worms but only freeze dried blood worms. I think I might do a tear down/rebuild to clean everything. Thanks for the info. :)

Back
Top Bottom