Two female bettas sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright, I have two female bettas who are acting kinda odd. Both when laying down their but tips up and they rest on their stomach. One has stringy poo which is making me believe parasites, the other one I'm not sure if she's egg bound(if they can be egg bound which I'm pretty sure they can) or she's got parasites too. She occasionally shows very light vertical bars on occasion but she's usually just normal color. I feel so bad for her she's just laying on the rocks under a plant looking all depressed and my other female that looks almost exactly like her is trying to get her to move and she just...doesn't care. My other female's harder to tell because she's yellow but I know she's sick anyhow.. I've been doing parasite clear but I'm just curious how many times you should do the treatment? I know it says you can do it twice in 48 hours then do a 20% water change between treatments but do I just do it until the signs disappear? >__< I gotta take my other fish home from school soon and I dont' want to be bringing them back to parasite infested tank X.x

With the stringy poo I might also guess and internal problem. The vertical bars are from being ready to mate. I doubt she'll get eggbound, they usually absorb the eggs after a while. Are you sure they aren't sleeping when they hold still with their butt end raised. I've seen them sleep stock still in weird positions. I don't know how long to continue treatment...anyone?

Sorry if you mentioned this, but are they eating? You can try the blanched peas trick (nuking them in the microwave, peeling off the skin, and feeding the mush) to get them to poop some. Generally, if you're fish have been healthy for a long time, and you haven't added anything in the tank recently, parasites would be less common.

When was your last water change? Not overfeeding? Water parameters looking good?

If she's sleeping she sleeps a LOT more than usual... and no they're not eating. I tried peas only my active fish were eating T.T I did a 75% water change on... Monday because I had to move them back into my room, I usually only feed what they'll eat and I put a little extra for my cory cats. Water parameters....(that I can give) are... erm...if I knew the scale of the coloration by number(and i didn't lose the card) for nitrite...I'd say it's hardly much of anything, it's light purple on a blue scale >.< anddd.. nitrates are between 5-10ppm

edit: yellow female showing signs of dropsy now. I think I found most of the problem. The filter was disgusting and it was creating this gross film over some of the plants which I just cleaned both and I'm going tomorrow to get new filter media because I thought I had a new one but I dont >.< Hopefully I can kill off whatever bacterial infections are going on in my tank

*sigh* the yellow one died of dropsy and my other one is beginning to slightly improve but I just hope she lives T.T

Back
Top Bottom