Two fish in two days...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
are not with me anymore.

If you've been following the saga of my ''ich infested cycling tank" you know the conditions but here is an overview:

Ammonia about 1 ppm...did a 60% change yesterday(about to do another).0 on both nitrates and nitrites.Ph is just above 7 and the temp is 87 degrees.

I have black molly who is a tic larger then the other fish and very agressive at feeding time (but otherwise A good tankmate I think)....and I'm wondering if he's my problem.

Earlier today..about six hours ago...I had a perfectly fine Guppy.No Ich could be seen on him and he looked great.Peaceful,healthy and happy.Gorgeous fish.

Between the time I went to bed...around noon...and the time the kids came in from school.....around three...It was dead and finless.
(fwiw thats the same condition I found the dead platy in..but the time line is less definite and he seemed less healthy).

The kids noticed the molly nibbling on the body as well.

Is this bully killing my fish and if so how?Or is the hungry sob just taking advantage of a chance to eat?

There is a few more details in the other thread if your interested.

Thoughts??Are molly's this agressive?Is two days at 87 degrees long enough for him to be ich free?(I'd like to take him back to the LPS,but don't want to make any others ill).

Fatz

Is the molly the only one you have in your tank? We had an agressive black molly at school that had issues with aggression until we put it in a school of my mollies and she no longer was aggressive. Is the guppy new? or has it been in with the molly for a while...

It's common for mollies to pick at the dead, as it is for any fish. Mollies just are always constantly hungry so the molly probably found it a good meal. I've never had an instance where a molly has KILLED another fish before but the black molly at school DID tear up my male a great deal when I put him in only the first time.

I have one other dalmation molly.They do hang out together quite a bit,but at feeding time blacky chases that one too.

I've heard of aggressive mollies, so yes, your's might be a bully. Adding more of the opposite sex usually takes care of that problem, but WAIT until your ammonia and ich issues are cleared up BEFORE adding any more fish.

It's extremely unlikely that the molly killed the guppy. The guppy probably died and the molly was just taking advantage of a free big meal. Fish are pretty to look at, but life in the aquarium can be quite cold and heartless.

Keep the temp at 87oF for two weeks, even if the fish look OK. Fish removed from the high temp may still carry ich. This is really important - like finishing all your antibiotic prescription even after you feel well again. The alternative is R*E*L*A*P*S*E!!

Keep on top of that ammonia by doing water changes like you've been doing. Good luck!

Yeah some mollies may be agressive if they're not in proper schools or have a nice little mating buddy to keep them company

I've heard of aggressive mollies, so yes, your's might be a bully. Adding more of the opposite sex usually takes care of that problem, but WAIT until your ammonia and ich issues are cleared up BEFORE adding any more fish.

I'm concerned about the blacky stressing the other fish....I have no doubt he is.....and since I'm cycling with fish I feel like I'm out of options.
He's got to go because I can't add more to ease him.

The fish has never presented with ich,but others in the tank have...how many days after reaching 87 degrees can I feel good about returning this guy to the LPS?

I want to see both my tank and this fish do well.

The tank should be kept at 87 degrees for 2 weeks for all the fish to make sure it's completely gone

I have experienced a similar problem with black mollies at feeding time too!

I do reccomened you purchase a few more it will calm her down.

I no longer keep mollies as I got sick of this problem.

I wonder why it's just the black mollies people see it more in though...the one at school was an agressive female until she got a pecking order straightened out with my mollies

Back
Top Bottom