UGH White Cloudy Stuff growing on Algae Tabs and Fish with Red Gills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT1FirebirdSLP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I will admit I probably overfed my fish so we can get beyond that now to simply fixing the problem at hand.

Part 1 - Tested my water on friday, tank shows 0.25 ppm Ammonia (nitrogen cycle starting? 0 for all other values.

Part 2 - White, fuzzy, cloud crap growing on two algae tabs that sat at the bottom of the tank for a couple of days (thought the pleco was going to eat these things). Its starting to grow as of sunday. Water values are holding for now but I am concerned that the red gils on the fish have something to do with either the fuzzy crap on the algae tabs or the ammonia value or both.

So now I ask... what do I do to fix this newbie mistake I made?

Here is my guess....

Clean up whats left over and siphon out the fungus/moldy algae tabs. Do a 50% - 40% water change. Do a reading before and after on the nitrate/nitrite/ammonia/pH values. Add some aquarium salt.

Am I on the right track? Should I medicate? I don't have a hospital tank other than a large fish bowl, but I would rather leave the fish in the big tank. Some opinions would be great.

Thanks in advance and I apologize for the newb questions.

Get the old algae tabs out and do a 50-75% water change and see how things go. I wouldnt jump to meds just yet. Big water changes will go a long way to healing problems....NO on the salt. JMO

Def go for the water changes. Can never go wrong with the water changes.

What type of test kit are you using, liquid or dip strips?

The red gills can either be a sign of disease or of high ammonia content.

I am sure other people will ask what type of test kit you have. Ammonia is there but the nitrates and nitrites are at 0... hmmm.

i have the API Freshwater master test kit. (The drops, liquid)

pH 8.2
Ammonia .25 ppm
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Hardness - Ideal
Chlorine 0

Is this tank newly set up? It doesnt say in your original post how long this tank has been running....

Your tank is cycling. I am trying to find an article for you right now about cycling with fish in the tank. I will post again when I find it.

Back
Top Bottom