Uh oh...Dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkpate

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a male guppy/endler, and he has been fat for a while, and I was just looking really close at him, and he seems pinecony! This is NO GOOD! Is it possible for the fish to get dropsy after a few months in a tank with no illness? Also, is it possible for them to be pinecony from having a tumor or being constipated? Thanks for the help.
I will try to get a pic up.

Unfortunately I would have to agree with your assessment. It does look like dropsy. And yes it is possible they can get dropsy without having had illness in the tank.

You should try QT'ing him and try treating him if that is possible. I've had limited sucess with curing dropsy myself. Good luck and let us know how he is doing.

The only QT I have is a 1G tank. Do you think I should just put him down? I do have clove oil, and can do it that way.

I am the worst one to ask that question to. I always think it is a good idea to put them down, but always give it a try at healing. You will have to trust your heart looking at him and decide if he seems to be in the beginning stages or if he is far gone.

I wish I could give you a firm yes or no.

Well, he has been fat for about 2 weeks now, so I don't think there is any hope. He is also not swimming with the other ones now.
Will the rest of my fish be okay do you think? He is in the community tank. :(
Thanks for your help.

Ok, well I don't have any vodka lol, but I will do the clove oil. If I remember right, you put enough in a bowl until it turns white, and stick them in there until they pass, and then put them in the freezer?

Boiling is faster and likely to be less painful than freezing. I'd anesthetize and just soup him. (don't eat him of course). Vodka or any cheap alcohol at a good ratio to water is a good form of euthanasia. I would say if you're too squeamish to boil freeze; it's the next best thing.

Sorry in advance for your loss. The clove oil puts them to sleep and if you freeze them they do not feel anything with the clove oil. I haven't tried the boiling method, I have just used the clove oil and freezing.

Well, I used to clove oil and he went quickly, and then went to the freezer. :( Thank you guys for your help. I am going to go be sad now.
On the plus side, my house smells fantastic. ;)

The disease itself is not usually contagious. What caused is might be. Keep an eye on your parameters and the other fish. I would not worry as of yet.

dkpate: I'm so sorry to hear your lost one of your fish. I did however find your method interesting and I would like to learn more about euthanasia. Clove oil puts them to sleep? And then you put them in the freezer and then what? Out to pasture? Please get back to me. Thanks.

Thanks Salty. :(

Mellow~ You use 1tsp of 100% clove oil per gallon of water, and shake until it turns whitish. Then you put your fish in the mixture, and it makes them pass out, and then they die. You put them in the freezer to make sure they don't wake up. It is, IMO, the most humane way to put a fish down, as they don't "feel" anything. Kind of like a person getting REALLY drunk and going to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom