Unhealthy betta fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silvercloud

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am not at home currently, so I'll add more detailed information later, but I wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on my sick betta. She is in a 25 gallon tank along with another betta fish who has the same problem. I moved them into this tank so that the temperature would be more stable and it did not help. There was already a betta fish in the 20 gallon who isn't affected by these symptoms. Their conditions have neither improved nor declined in half a year. They are lethargic and don't move very much. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Ammonia / Nitrite / Nitrate / pH / Temp / Gender of Betta / Other tank makes / Water change routine please.

I'll have to do a water test when I get home, but bettas that show symptoms are female, in a tank with a few guppies, 2 abn plecos, and 1 albino corey cat. I change 10-25% of the water every week

Bettas are naturally lethargic in larger tanks. I had a super healthy, active betta in its own 5.5 gal, when I moved it into a larger tank with a few tank mates it just sat behind plants all day.

Ensure ammonia / nitrite are 0, nitrates are <30ppm, temp is 78-82 degrees F, no fish are picking on them and they are eating quality food and they should be healthy.

The tank I had those two in before was a 5 gallon with perfect water parameters, temperature was just a little low, and at one point it had a thriving community of females, but they slowly started to die off and look sickly, even though no water parameters ever went out of wack and I kept the numbers stable. They never fought or anything, so I don't really understand what happened. Any ideas?

Most likely stress. There are some Bettas that like to be alone. Age on a betta has a big roll on this. Could be a few different thing's. Could be too much light on the tank, or not enough places to themselves. But, over all, I say from the sounds of it, it's stress. If you try putting one of the girls in a small tank to herself away from others you will probably see a big difference. Add a little aquarium salt to get her better too will help. Stress is a killer! They gotta have room away from other fish even in a bigger tank. I have my share of betta's too. Lol! Love them!

Back
Top Bottom