Unhealthy Goldfish, Cloudy Water, CANNOT FIND THE PROBLEM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CSouth96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, OK so I am not new to the aquarium scene but this has absolutely baffled me. So I had acquired a new 60 Gallon Aquarium, (I was very excited) Now after I purchased the Aquarium immediately began setting it up, I have 2 decent bubblers, I also have a Marineland Emperor 400, and a Marineland Penguin 350, So i know i have PLENTY of filteration, (I know that Overfiltration is the name of the game) and i used a simple National Geo Sand that i purchsed as a substrate, now i let the tank cycle for some time and, I do believe that this is the source of the problem because I did not cycle the tank for very long at all, but I did test it and it had no ammonia so I assumed it was ready for fish. I added 4 fish all Fancy Goldfish ( 2 Orandas, 1 Ryukin, 1 Black Moor) And the water got slightly cloudy but I figured this was normal because of the sudden spike in ammonia that adding 4 Goldie's can have. Then the water became Crystal clear. I was extremely happy, then one day i noticed that the black moor was having extreme issues and would not eat. i tried for days to find the problem but was unsuccessful, so after i lost the black moor i replaced him with a large beautiful blue/Calico oranda then i got up the next morning and my tank was like there was a small blizzard in it, it was impossible to see anything. For a while i could not find the problem and then i found that much of the food they had been eating was getting caught in an artificial plant i had in the corner and had been rotting and causing the ammonia to spike so i removed the plant, did a 25% water change and made sure i removed all the rotting food. Since then i have been doing 20%-40% water changes everyday but I cannot get the ammonia to go down and I cant get the water to clear up, I am using seachem chemicals and i also added an amazon sword plant to help eat up some of the ammonia but I CANNOT GET IT TO GO DOWN, so im hoping you guys can help me. Its starting to effect my other fish

Your ammonia won't go down because you didn't let your cycle finish, this is also probably the cause of the cloudy water. 4 goldfish is quite a bit of bioload. I would take 3 back and finish cycling with 1 of them.

This link will help guide you step by step on some basics and help you finish your cycle with a fish you already have.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154837

What test kit do you have?

Current water parameters?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Last edited:
Your ammonia won't go down because you didn't let your cycle finish, this is also probably the cause of the cloudy water. 4 goldfish is quite a bit of bioload. I would take 3 back and finish cycling with 1 of them.

This link will help guide you step by step on some basics and help you finish your cycle with a fish you already have.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154837

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

+1. Agreed.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Articles to Help you Get Started with your Aquarium - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Okay sorry it took so long to get back to you, and i thank you for your reply but I think i may have gotten very lucky. So i have very diligently been testing my water and making constant water changes and FINALLY the bacteria had caught up and start converting the ammonia into nitrites, and then nitrates. BUT since it had been going on for so long instead of ammonia poisoning it turned into a really bad case of Nitrite poisoning. we are talking 10+ nitrites and 80 Nitrates so I decided now was the time for a MASSIVE water change. about 90 or 95% afterwards i refilled the tank with new water and added prime and Stability to get the parameters right. Let the tank run for about 20 minutes so it circulated and then tested the water. 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrites and about 10 Nitrates, I then slowly introduced the temperature change to my fish as to not shock them (they have already been through enough :( as you can tell) and then i released them into the tank. I then added Aquarium Salt for Freshwater aquariums and here i am now. My only question at this point is, does anybody have any idea how long the Nitrite poisoning effects will last? Anyway to speed up the recovery process? I have 2 fish that are severely effected, one has white splotches on her tail fin, and obvious signs of bursted blood vessels, the other was much smaller and has several red splotches and bloody looking areas. i have a 3rd who seemed to also be having buoyancy issues and was in obvious distress. Surprisingly though my 4th fish had no problems at all and acted as if nothing was wrong the entire time.

I can tell you that methylene blue is used to treat fish that have had nitrite poisoning. But use it in a separate container, as it will kill Benifical bacteria.

Are there any other options? Unfortunately I have no real way to separate them

If you have 5 dollars, you can get a tub from Walmart and a small bottle of methylene runs $6 at a fish store.
I have no other advice really, but if they have been in foul ammonia water, and stressed out, chances are their gonna get sick, and methylene is a good disease preventative and can be combined with most antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom