Unhealthy pregnant swordtail fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mantha1980

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I don't know if anyone can give me any advice on the above as I think my swordtail is currently dying :(

Hi and welcome to AA:). Firstly the more information you can give will help
Tank size, filtration,tank mates, water tests,how long the tank been set up. Also why do you believe your swordtail is dying?

I've had the tank set up for about 9 month she was pregnant when I bought her 3 days ago along with a male swordtail and a guppy both the male and guppy have since died. I have 2 tetras 3 guppies and 2 silver sharks. I have tested the water it seems fine. But now she is very lethargic and looking unhealthy.

I've had the tank set up for about 9 month she was pregnant when I bought her 3 days ago along with a male swordtail and a guppy both the male and guppy have since died. I have 2 tetras 3 guppies and 2 silver sharks. I have tested the water it seems fine. But now she is very lethargic and looking unhealthy.

Mantha1980 said:

What are you testing with? Drip test kit or strips? Strips are very inaccurate. Sounds like bad water quality or maybe you got a bad batch of fish. Did you acclimate them when you added them to the tank?

My guess is unhealthy fish from the store, or they were not acclimated properly. The tank has been running for 9 months and has other fish, so it "shouldn't" be poor water quality. Do you keep up with partial water changes?

Yeah I keep up with partial water changes and the testing is a drip test kit. She had been doing really well then all of a sudden she's not active and worried she's now going to die before she gives birth. She is still feeding if that helps any?

Oh and I acclimatised them all but maybe I've done something wrong :(

Kept them in the bag and left them on the top of the tank water. She's still just sitting at the bottom of the tank :( it's sad I might not see the babies

Mantha1980 said:
Kept them in the bag and left them on the top of the tank water. She's still just sitting at the bottom of the tank :( it's sad I might not see the babies

She may be trying to get ready to have the babies. Also when you acclimate fish you need to add tank water to the bag slowly. Then dump it out in the sink and keep adding your water till its completely full. Never add store water to your tank. Adding your tank water to the bag slowly helps the fish get used to the changes in the 2 waters.

I hope she is getting ready but you know when you think it doesn't look good :( I don't even know how far she was when I bought her 3 days ago :(

Mantha1980 said:
I hope she is getting ready but you know when you think it doesn't look good :( I don't even know how far she was when I bought her 3 days ago :(

Well the only thing I can think of is that you got a bad batch of fish since the other 2 died too. Where did you buy them ?

Pets at home :( there is another guppy from that batch I just hope he doesn't go too. Animals who'd have them lol

Mantha1980 said:
Pets at home :( there is another guppy from that batch I just hope he doesn't go too. Animals who'd have them lol

Well maybe they do a 7 day return thing

Hmmm......not acclimating with your own tank water could have been enough to shock those fish, especially if the ph's were different. But, the fish hanging on the bottom does sound like she is getting ready to spit those babies out. I think I'd be more worried if she was hanging near the top. Is she actually resting on the substrate, or floating above it? If she's floating, I think she'll be alright.

Back
Top Bottom