Unhealthy Swordtail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squareheads

Aquarium Advice Activist
My male black swordtail is looking really unhealthy right now and I really don't know how to take care of this situation. I've had him for I think atleast 3 and 1/2 weeks or more

I don't think it's Ich.

I have obsereved discolouration and rapid breathing as well as lethargic behaviour and less eating, and more hiding

my tank is 20g.... and still developing bacteria, i believe it is about the 3rd or 4th week.

ive been feeding them flake food but have recently picked up frozen blood worms...

I have 4 swordtails, 2 gouramis, 1 ghost knife(ill see if i can handle him), bushynose pleco(1 inch?), and 2 flower shrimps
(it seems a lot but I feel that I can handle it. I moved this quick due to peer pressure from my siblings, it is as much theirs as it is mine... and
i mostly never get the say because im not the majority)

I currently only have an ammonia test kit which showed 0.5ppm i believe
( It is most likely detoxified cause I put seachem prime ><

and test strips for nitrate and nitrite(big mistake) which seemed to be in a safe level...

I water change twice a week but now am planning to water change even more due to the population of my tank. and I use seachem prime for detoxifying ammonia

img_987208_0_4a73c1d324b048834b57d6a9b6404740.jpg

in need of information and assistance...

Its been 3 days and his continuous discoloration is still present and his lack of eating is aswell. But he has started to move around now... I still don't know what to do...

Do you still show ammonia in the water?
What does your nitrite test strip show?
What type of filtration do you have?
Daily feedings? How much? You said you share the tank with siblings, could they be adding food too? Maybe cut that back while cycling.

I would keep with the water changes until you see progress when you do a test.

The cycle doesn't last forever, thankfully! But whatever you do, once it's cycled don't use a bacteria suppliment when you do water changes! I learned that the hard way.

What happens if u put bacteria suppliment?

well i think he's actually getting better... I went to another LFS and I bought myself bacteria supplement recommended by them cause my ammonia tested about 0.25 to 0.5 ... and I got those freshwater aquarium salt by API to boost their immune system and prevent disease, also I do believe i've spotted little signs off Ich on my albino swordtail soo im pretty sure the salt will take care of that.

But back to the Swordtail... he's now been eating a bit more and a bit more active... >< im not sure what went wrong, but my best guess was the ammonia levels...

Back
Top Bottom