Unhealthy Veil tail Oscar please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nba_dj_99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I have recently purchased a veil tale and I notice it’s find didn’t look to well but I figured they may grow back can someone help me figure out what is wrong with the Oscar as well as if it can regrow. My tank doesn’t have too many bully’s so I don’t think it’s from fish nibbles. IMG_1518.jpgIMG_1521.jpgIMG_1519.jpg

What other fish are in there with him?

What does your ammonia, nitrite and nitrates test out at?

Hi king fisher thanks for responding I have jack dempsey convict and catfish the ammonia is low I suspect it may be fun rot there is a white sort of thing on the edge of its fins but I don’t know and wanted to get other opinions

It looks like fin rot could be setting in. Im wondering how the fins were damaged. Convicts and Jack Dempsey's are aggressive Cichlids. If it were ammonia I'd think some or all of your other fish would have fin damage. Convicts are known to fin nip.

If you got a quarantine tank I'd put him in there and treat with aquarium salt. If you don't you can dose the entire main tank with aquarium salt. I'd at least put a divider in the main tank and keep him in solitary confinement. The problem still exists that more than likely he's being fin nipped. So you will have to pay close attention to your fish and find out who the culprit is.

I would definitely agree. Cichlids are so aggressive. If you have a pair they will most definitely be you offenders. Beautiful Oscar!!! You could also do a methylene blue dip for him as well as the salt. It looks fungal to me. I have delt with so much fin rot with betta fish. Infact that is how I own 35 of them now. I'm a bleeding heart for sick, sad looking fish. Kordon rapid-cure ich disease treatment would also help him. It take care of more than ich. Which he is highly susceptible to.

With that type of substrate you will be battling water quality uphill, in the snow, on a slip and slide, getting sprayed with a fire hose and getting chased by a doberman that shoots bees from its mouth.

With that type of substrate you will be battling water quality uphill, in the snow, on a slip and slide, getting sprayed with a fire hose and getting chased by a doberman that shoots bees from its mouth.
?? I'm confused. Why would her sub, effect how she treats her fish?

?? I'm confused. Why would her sub, effect how she treats her fish?
Because it's going to present an ongoing issue with water quality that will most likely only get worse with time. Extremely messy fish should be kept in easy to clean tanks. 4" of large river rock is going to let poo fall to very bottom of the tank where it will remain.

Back
Top Bottom