Unknown creature in my 20 gallon gold fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KRAKEN

Aquarium Advice Activist
There are about 4 of them, I am clueless of what they are, but they are eating scum off the bottom of the tank, (food, poop, ect) what are these things ?

Attachments

• image-1133663453.jpg
    image-1133663453.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 159
Looks like some kind of larvae....... reminds me of mosquito larvae, but I don't think that's quite it.

It's smaller than my pinky nail, to me it kinda looks like a baby cray fish? I'm surprised my iPhone focused on something so small

I picked one up and it feels like a shell, like it's hard

If you had actually read the link it says they can be in both fresh and saltwater.

Anyway, have you added any live rock recently? Or plants?

I added a rock from fresh stream in back yard

That may be where the mysterious creatures came from. Are they bothering your fish?

I have been doing some research on adding drift wood to my tank, and it says you are supposed to boil it... I assume the same would be true for rocks.

looks like Mayfly larvae. I know dragonfly larvae get big enough to eat frogs and fish. I would remove them.

I'm going to let it play out, if they get big and I feel they are a danger I will remove them, as for right now it seems like they are doing a good thing by eating the left overs, and my shubunkin ate one, so it it's acting as a natural food source I'm fine with that,

Hard to say for certain from the picture, but it does indeed appear to be a mayfly larva. Unlike damselfly or dragonfly larva, mayflies are herbivores, and will not cause any issues with the fish or other invertebrates. They are also indicators of very good water quality, which makes me question that I.D. in a goldfish tank. They may be damselflies. Distinguishing between the two is easy in person. If the middle filament of the tail is held in line with the other three, and they appear to be only filaments, then you have mayflies. On the other hand, if the filaments appear feathery or gill-like (which they are), then you have damselflies. Regardless, neither type of larva is likely to get big enough to cause any issues with goldfish, so leaving them to play out should be fine.

Since the picture appears to show gills on the abdomen rather than on the tail filaments, I'm more inclined toward the mayfly larva, even though it is a goldfish tank.

Back
Top Bottom